What do you do with a 3year old that hits, throws things, wont stay in his room for time out. I am a mother with bipolar dissorder.

The main problem is i know he can be very well behaved for his father and daycare lady. I dont know how to controll his behaviors.i will do time outs both ways (me and him). He wont stay in them. I will occasionaly spank him but dont think it is emotionally healthy for either one of us.PLEASE HELP I am out of options.

bubbasmomma13

Asked by bubbasmomma13 at 4:44 PM on Dec. 6, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Keep returning him to his room and tell him his time out just started over. Eventually he will get the point.

Stand right outside the door to keep him in if you have to.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:50 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• i would have a place to sit him in, not just a room. Have you been taking your medications? I think you could sit in with the daycare provider and see what exactly she does and mimic it.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 4:53 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• His daycare lady said he has never dispalyed any bad or violent behaviors for her he has been going there for almost 2years now. I know i should be consistant but I have stood out side his door and restarted time out but we did that for 3/4 hours till i gave up.
    bubbasmomma13

Comment by bubbasmomma13 (original poster) at 5:07 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• I do take my medication and do therapy every two weeks' i also meet with my medication doctor every 2 months.
    bubbasmomma13

Comment by bubbasmomma13 (original poster) at 5:09 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Well, one of the problems is that he is 3. That's truly very young to understand complex time out rules. It may be that this type of discipline isn't going to be effective for him. If he's not fully understanding the "why" then he is likely becoming more and more frustrated and lashing out.

If he hits, a firm no and redirect may work better for him, Same goes for the throwing things. Take what he's thrown away from him for good, putting it up where he can see it and not get to it. Redirect and ignore, repeat.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:19 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• There is a reason why he is acting up for only you. You just have to figure out why. Kids are weird that way. Have you tried counseling for either you or him, or the both of you? We have a child counseling center here. It helped my granddaughter with a loss. I would start there......
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:21 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• One, If he gets out of time out, put him back in it. Dont' talk to him just direct him to the area and make him sit. As for throwing toys, Have you tried giving the toy a "time out" and explaining the toy is "going in timeout" because of the throwing.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:23 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• We do have an appt. For him to try play therapy. I know he fully understands what is going on and what he did to have to go in time out. I do put toys in time out everytime it happens. I sometimes think that spanking is going to be my only option.
    bubbasmomma13

Comment by bubbasmomma13 (original poster) at 5:32 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Be consistent. No means no. Have consequences for his bad behavior. Spanking works for some issues. If spanking is not working try his nose in the corner for x amount of time...take away a favorite toy or activity...etc. Be consistent...Stick to what you say. If you say no, then it means NO.

Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 9:12 PM on Dec. 11, 2012