My one year old is refusing to eat dinner......

My son will be one Dec 15th and used to be a very adventerous eater- wanting everything I ate/had. I am trying to get him eating 3 meals a day now but having a hard time with it.....breakfast is usually a gogurt and 1/2 to a full cereal bar....lunch is touch and go but yesterday he ate a slice of a cheese quesadilla...and a couple bites of an apple. Today nothing....and now nothing I offer him for dinner is hitting home. he's refusing all foods. I gave him tylenol because he is teething but still he wont eat anything.... I tried spagettios, which is brother had, and no luck....I tried hamburger that I had with no luck... no cherrios, no cereal bar....not fruit... NOTHING. My first son, n ow 4, started to be VERY fussy eater around this age and I DO NOT want to go that route again. The only thing he will eat with viggor is pizza....he'll eat an entire slice...please help...he NEEDS dinner. But hes almost always too fussy this time of night for anything except for well... me. which I also want to end but he doesn't drink from a cup well enough for me to stop (never took a bottle...refuses). He's just so stubborn.

stephanieplante

Asked by stephanieplante at 5:34 PM on Dec. 6, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you know SOME of you could stand to be more helpful. the issues I had with my older child were mostly in part to his aspergers and texture issues....I just cant stand the fact that my seocnd used to be such a great eater and now hes getting worse....5-7 is his worse time of night...almost like I have a colicky 2 month oldall over again. I am tried and stressed and my husban works Mon-Thurs 10am-9pm so I never have any help or relief. some nights I get lucky and he wants what I have other nights he just refuses all food although he is hungry. i wanna b one with nursing....already been nursing longer than I wanted to. I am a mom on the brink of a meltdown because I am trying so hard to do better to no avail.and I am alone 4 nights a week....which isnt easy either.
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 5:59 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• I wouldn't argue about food. Give two choices and that's it. My oldest has autism so I know all about the difficulty, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Steel yourself for some tantrums but don't give in.
    A 1 year old does not need baby food. Some easy things to try - French toast, scrambled eggs, cheese melted on bread and oatmeal (regular quick oats) and add applesauce or other puréed fruit for sweetness.

Answer by missanc at 7:23 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• If you want to be done with nursing you can pump instead. Try fruit smoothies. Mix in veggies if he takes to the smoothies. Fill an empty gogurt wrapper with regular yogurt. We are right about the sugar. That can kill their appetite.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:03 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Let him nurse. Eating is probably uncomfortable for him. Solids are only for practice the first year anyway. He isn't going to need a lot of food.

To those who say he needs baby food - that isn't true. Our little guy was eating table food at 7 months. Baby led weaning - you let them play with food, taste it, and eat it when they are ready. He can certainly handle table food.

But to the OP - follow his lead. Don't push food on him if he isn't interested. He knows what he needs right now. Let him nurse. Mine always nurse a ton when teething or getting sick - it's like they know they need those antibodies! :)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:31 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• not even going to bother pumping....givning whole milk at meals and he likes it just doesnt take in a sufficiate amount yet while he works out getting the idea of how to work the cup
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 8:50 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• and yeah hes been off baby fod for some time now....i use it at dipping sauces for waffles, quesdillas and toast mainly now. for ahwile he liked the baby food ina tube but stopped after a week...but i LIKE that idea about saving the gogurt tubes. will try that at the very least. and after the new year will try getting my oldest to try less surgary yogurts. for now though i do buy Simply Gogurt with less sugar
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 8:54 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• I have an Autistic son, so I can understand the stress with having a picky eater. But, as others have said, since he is still nursing, he is getting plenty of nutrients. Also, eating and chewing may be painful for him with the teething. I woud suggest trying softer foods, like mashed potatoes? My kids seem to love them if I put a little cheese on them. And to make sure they are really creamy and lump free, I use a mixer on them.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:21 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• He is still a BABY. A lot of kids this age don't like certain textures and tastes because they are new. He is NOT being picky or fussy. NEVER not feed him. Remember that a serving size for a 1 year old is a tablespoon or two. Try foods that he can feed himself. Cheerios, Kix, green beans, noodles with a little butter, carrot coins, peas. Sandwiches cut into bite sized pieces. Yogurt and applesauce are good too. Also, remember that you don't eat foods that you don't like, don't expect a child too just because you are the parent. People, including kids, like what they like. I will NEVER suggest NOT feeding a child or forcing them to eat something they don't like. I have seen kids starve themselves. I have seen kids vomit foods they don't like right on the table. I don't recommend making separate meals but having atleast 2 healthy thing your child does eat available or make a sandwich or they have a bowl of cereal.
    Anonymous

• Also, it takes something like 15 or more times for a child to determine that they like or dislike a food, so keep offering new foods.
    Anonymous

• Maybe try feeding him his dinner a bit earlier. He may just be too tired to be interested.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:04 PM on Dec. 9, 2012