My one year old is refusing to eat dinner......

My son will be one Dec 15th and used to be a very adventerous eater- wanting everything I ate/had. I am trying to get him eating 3 meals a day now but having a hard time with it.....breakfast is usually a gogurt and 1/2 to a full cereal bar....lunch is touch and go but yesterday he ate a slice of a cheese quesadilla...and a couple bites of an apple. Today nothing....and now nothing I offer him for dinner is hitting home. he's refusing all foods. I gave him tylenol because he is teething but still he wont eat anything.... I tried spagettios, which is brother had, and no luck....I tried hamburger that I had with no luck... no cherrios, no cereal bar....not fruit... NOTHING. My first son, n ow 4, started to be VERY fussy eater around this age and I DO NOT want to go that route again. The only thing he will eat with viggor is pizza....he'll eat an entire slice...please help...he NEEDS dinner. But hes almost always too fussy this time of night for anything except for well... me. which I also want to end but he doesn't drink from a cup well enough for me to stop (never took a bottle...refuses). He's just so stubborn.

stephanieplante

Asked by stephanieplante at 5:34 PM on Dec. 6, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Dont give meds unless necessary. if he is too fussy at dinner time because of teething, just load him up with calories earlier in the day. gogurt is crap, try greek yogurt or a yogurt with more protein than sugar.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:38 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• How about some BABY food?!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:38 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• I have to agree with the others. Gogurt and cereal bars are not appropriate foods for a one year old. Homemade baby food would be a better option, imo. You're loading him up with sugar which dampens his appetite anyway.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:40 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Don't make a battle out of food at that age. If he doesn't want to eat, wait. He'll be hungry later.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:41 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Also, don't get into a battle of the wills over feeding issues. Sit him down, give him his food, give him a set amount of time to eat and then take him down from the table without a word.

Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• gogurt is all he'll eat at the moment turst me i'd like to do something diffrent
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 5:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• he also refues baby food now too so not a option
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 5:43 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• the gogurt is because his brother has aspergers and will ONLY eat gogurts. he wants what big brother has
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 5:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• He refuses REAL food because you give him all that processed crap

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:47 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Okay so part of the issue here is that your one year old is determining what you feed him. You're the boss; so he has to eat what you provide him.

Babies won't starve themselves to death. If you're calm and spend a couple of days not giving in to his demands he'll learn that what is on his tray is what he gets to eat (especially since he's nursing; he's getting nutrition). So, for instance, for breakfast he gets a healthy yogurt (Greek is good) with fruit and maybe some cheese. If he doesn't eat, he gets down from the table without a word from you. Same for each subsequent meal. It doesn't take long for them to "get it".

If you don't do that now you're going to have the same issues you had with your older child. and I know you want to avoid that
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:49 PM on Dec. 6, 2012