The girls have a question for you guys, or rather a bunch of questions

we got a letter in the mail the other day saying that they were going to spend a few hours with the local police department. the police are going to feed them dinner then take them shopping at walmart. here's where their questions begin:
has anyone ever done this before?
are they able to buy for mommy and daddy?
will the police help them wrap their gifts?
do they buy for each other or themselves?

(sorry they just started firing their questions and i had to tell them to stop so you can answer. we've never done this so we don't know. and the kids can't wait!)

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 5:43 PM on Dec. 6, 2012 in Holidays

• My dh just did "Shop with a Hero" the other night. (He is the Capt. of our Fire Dept)
    It is a cool program, but everyone does their programs differently.
    I can only tell you how they did it here and maybe that will help your kids

Everyone met at Walmart, Pizza Hut supplied dinner, then the children (from all over our county)
    were assigned a Hero (police/fire/emt) and given an enevolope with a $50.00 gift card for ea member of the family along with a list of items (they wrote out) to get these family members. And if there is any money left the child can use it on themselves. Some of the children did run out of money so their Hero would slip them an extra 20.00 so they could get something for themselves.  It's fun for the kids. Dh said everyone had a lot of fun.

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:56 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• I just saw where they had done it here in the newspaper. It looks like they shop for the child only. I don't think they wrap anything though.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:44 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• I've heard of this before but never done it. I do believe the children can buy for whoever they want and if time permits, the police will help them wrap the gifts. I think it is a wonderful idea and hope your kids enjoy it.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 5:46 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Awesome idea. But doesn't the letter explain how it works?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:48 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• That sounds so fun!!
    flowersmama

Answer by flowersmama at 5:54 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• How exciting for them! Our local police do the same thing & they just take them shopping. No wrapping & just items for the kids. But they can get clothing, shoes, boots or toys. Whatever they want w/in their price range. Please let us know how it went :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:40 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• I actually got to do this when I was younger. I remember because it was the first time I actually got to get presents for people without my mother telling me what to get. I got to get stuff for me and since I had some money left over, I got to get things for my family to. But, since I am an only child, I didn't have any brothers or sisters to worry about. It may be different with your daughters though, since it sounds like there is more then one of them. I do know that they do have a spending limit for them and they stop at that number. I do remeber having to wrap the gifts myself though, so tell the girls to be prepared.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Never heard of it. Sounds fun though.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 12:03 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• my middle one wants to be a detective when she grows up, so she's on pins and needles until wed.
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 5:48 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• nope, it says that i'm suppose to drop the kids off at five on weds the 12th and they will feed them and then take them shopping. i'm to return around 9 to pick them up. i'm planning on staying at the library while they are shopping. it's just down the street from them.
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 5:50 PM on Dec. 6, 2012