How can I get my point across without causing WWIII?

My SO wants to go to a water park with just me. He thinks it would be a great romantic get-away and that we would have fun. Here is the problem. I do not like amusement parks of any sort and I do not like water. I went to this water park in the past with my ex when we were together and took our kids as well. The kids and him had a great time. I tried my best but did not enjoy it. I also do not own a swimming suit as I outgrew mine and detest how I look in them. Further, I know that he took his ex to this water park. Every time he brings up going, he mentions the time he took her. I KNOW he doesn't want to be with her. But if just mentioning it brings back memories, what's gonna happen when we are actually there?

Don't get me wrong, a weekend away with just him would be great. Just not at that water park or any amusement park. I'm 34, not 14. I don't want to hurt his feelings and don't want to cause a fight between him and I. How do I tell him that going to this water park would not be enjoyable for me?

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 6:59 PM on Dec. 6, 2012 in Relationships

• Tell him just that. You are looking forward to a romantic getaway but a waterpark is not your idea of one. Then have several suggestions of what your idea of a romantic weekend is and ask him to choose one of those. I wouldn't mention how you feel about the water park and his memories with his ex.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:03 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Tell him what you just said here but leave out the part about the exes.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:13 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Just tell him the truth. "I love the thought of a romantic weekend away with you, but a water park just doesn't sound like a romantic getaway to me. How about we go to _____ instead?"
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:16 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Tell him the pungent chlorine smell & screaming kids gives you a headache. Wouldn't be much of a romantic get away if you have a headache. KWIM? Then suggest some other places. A secluded cabin. A honeymoon suite at a nice hotel. Or whatever else floats your boat. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:13 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Does he know you do not like water and/or amusement parks?  I would just tell him. I want to go somewhere, but not their.

Answer by louise2 at 7:05 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• A water park is NOT a romantic destination. Wine tasting, museums, concerts, etc. are for adults, not to mention hotel sex is always fun and a great way to reconnect.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:43 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Tell him you don't like water parks. You don't need to mention the exes. You can tell him you don't think being physically ill is particularly romantic.

If it causes WWII, there are bigger problems here.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:27 PM on Dec. 7, 2012