Do your kids have to ask or do they just grab..?

my kids know that everything in my fridge/ kitchen is theirs but they still have to ask..

ive noticed some girlfriends their kids just grab... what about yours?

mampanda0422

Asked by mampanda0422 at 7:08 PM on Dec. 6, 2012 in General Parenting

• When they were younger they had to ask but now they just grab. (ages 12 & 15) They know when we eat meals and won't eat too close to them. Sometimes they will ask for certain things and I think, you're old enough, just get it.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 6:30 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• There are things they know they can grab anytime... yogurt, fruit, raw veggies, cheese... stuff like that. And some things they know they need to ask for... sweets & stuff. But they are 6 & 8 too...

That's how it works here, too.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:58 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• Mine are adults now, but they had to ask. Otherwise they would have eaten nothing but junk......and my grocery bill, which was already outrageous with 3 boys would have been triple .....
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:48 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• A little of both. 6yo DD seems to know when she needs to ask and when she doesn't. Basically fruits, veggies, and water she does not have to ask...everything else she does.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 5:43 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• Mine don't ask b/c I don't offer snacks unless we are out of the house for the ENTIRE day. I have snacks with us then, so they ask and I will let them have one as long as it isn't to close to a meal time. At home they are give 3 good meals a day and feed them until they are good and full...no snacking allowed.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:56 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Mine are SUPPOSED to ask, but I have caught them just grabbing. We generally keep the sweets up and out of their reach, but around the holidays, we make things that have to be kept in the refrigerator, so they can grab that. I know my kids are usually hungary when they get home from school, so I usually let them have a small snack between then and dinner.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• We have regular scheduled meals and a snack each day. Unless a meal is going to be late we do not offer extra snacking, even if they ask. They eat every 3-4 hours that they are awake... if they are hungry in between it is because they chose to be picky at meal time and did not eat enough.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:36 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Mine are all age 10 and older so they are well aware of what they can eat and when. They know the fruit and crackers are okay any time, but they know when to ask about certain things, in case I'm saving it for something special, etc. I do limit the amount of snacks sometimes only because between the four of them they can deplete my large basket of fruit in less than a day.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:26 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• My kids know they can have fruit, veggies or yogurt any time of day. Anything else they have to ask.

Answer by missanc at 8:12 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Mine MUST ask! If they got what they wanted when they wanted I would probably be reported for child abuse. They'd be obese! My boys would eat junk all day long if I let them. I think its important for us to monitor what and when they eat at their ages (6 and 2) in order to build healthy eating habits in the future.
    sherrodbull

Answer by sherrodbull at 8:02 PM on Dec. 6, 2012