Would you let your childs father terminate his parental rights if he wanted to?

My sons father visits with my son every other weeked and on Wednesdays. He never asks to see him extra. He remarried and has another child. He does not include my son in family vacations, when he got married, holidays, etc. My son says when he has his visits they ignore him most of the time he is there and always tell him to play with his little brother who is 9 years younger than him. My son says he & his wife have no interaction with him when he's there. Wednesday he told his Dad how he feels that he is not a good Dad and that he never does anything with him. His father got very angry and told him he is a good dad because he always picks him up, and made him stay in his room the entire visit, when my husband picked him up his dad didn't tell him good bye and just slammed the door. Today I received a phone call from an attorney, my ex wants to terminate his parental rights for my son and wants to know if I will agree. I'm in shock and don't know what to do. My son has told me before he wishes that wasn't his dad because he is uninvolved in his life. He also is very close with my husband. I just can't believe he would even consider doing that instead of trying to work on their relationship.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Dec. 6, 2012 in General Parenting

• yes i would do it. I have tried and I even thought about telling him he wouldn;t have to pay any more. not that he does but i don't want to push the subject. I would do it and your husband adopt your son and everyone would be better off. he already has a father. your husband so that is good and in the long run this might make yous son a better father. good luck
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:52 AM on Dec. 8, 2012

• As horrible as I may feel for my son I know you all are right. My son will better long term.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:37 AM on Dec. 14, 2012

• My oldest dd would love to get that kind of phone call, and her ex would have bc he got
    what he wanted (the oldest son now 13 to live with him 100% of the time), but the courts
    won't let him give 2 up only, they told him it's all or none...

You can not make 2 ppl like ea  other or interact with ea other, your son isn't happy with
    his bio father, sign the papers you will being doing your son some good.

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 3:50 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• BTW in your case. YES do it now, your son it way better off without a sperm donor like that
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:30 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• depends. If he isnt a good person to be around my children then I would do it in a heartbeat
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:28 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• So the jackass thinks he's a good dad just because he always picks his kid up for visitation? Wow! And he went from one confrontation with his son to wanting termination? Double wow! Yeah, go for it, he doesn't deserve to have a son at all.

Personally, I think your son was really brave to tell his dad how he felt.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:24 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• spirtguide_23 my husband would adopt him if he terminates his rights. He acts like his dad now so nothing would really change between them. I feel like if he does not want to be the dad then letting him terminate. I just don't know about letting him out of the financial obligation, I don't think it's fair. I honestly believe my son told him he doesn't want to see him, so he doesn't want to pay. This is his way out.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:22 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• In your situation, I sure as shit would! I wish my real father had signed away his rights a LONG time before he did. Turns out he only did it because he thought he could get out of child support, which he did. However, he still had to pay the back support.

Also, if you do decided to let him drop his rights, do you think your husband would be willing to adopt him?
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:10 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• If my ex would agree to terminate his rights, not only would I do it, but I'd throw him a damn party! But he won't do it because that would eliminate his ability to try to score with women by claiming that I don't let him see them - never mind that my address, phone number, and email address have not changed in the 8 YEARS since he last saw them, or that he also ignores his daughter with another woman.

If he wants to give him up, LET HIM! Your son will be way better off without a reluctant, crappy father.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:54 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• I would in a heart beat. my sons father has nothing to do with him and he still won't do it.
    bubbasmomma13

Answer by bubbasmomma13 at 10:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2012