Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Would you let your childs father terminate his parental rights if he wanted to?

My sons father visits with my son every other weeked and on Wednesdays. He never asks to see him extra. He remarried and has another child. He does not include my son in family vacations, when he got married, holidays, etc. My son says when he has his visits they ignore him most of the time he is there and always tell him to play with his little brother who is 9 years younger than him. My son says he & his wife have no interaction with him when he's there. Wednesday he told his Dad how he feels that he is not a good Dad and that he never does anything with him. His father got very angry and told him he is a good dad because he always picks him up, and made him stay in his room the entire visit, when my husband picked him up his dad didn't tell him good bye and just slammed the door. Today I received a phone call from an attorney, my ex wants to terminate his parental rights for my son and wants to know if I will agree. I'm in shock and don't know what to do. My son has told me before he wishes that wasn't his dad because he is uninvolved in his life. He also is very close with my husband. I just can't believe he would even consider doing that instead of trying to work on their relationship.


Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Dec. 6, 2012 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (17)
  • yes i would do it. I have tried and I even thought about telling him he wouldn;t have to pay any more. not that he does but i don't want to push the subject. I would do it and your husband adopt your son and everyone would be better off. he already has a father. your husband so that is good and in the long run this might make yous son a better father. good luck

    Answer by lambdarose at 11:52 AM on Dec. 8, 2012

  • I wouldn't let him out of child support,but i'd let him drop the visitation

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:30 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

  • Yes

    Answer by funlovinlady at 9:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

  • tell me where to sign? your sons dad does not deserve your son!

    Answer by mampanda0422 at 9:21 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

  • Yep I would. If for whatever reason their dad couldn't be their dad, then damn skippy I wouldn't want him to have any rights.

    Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:52 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

  • If my ex would agree to terminate his rights, not only would I do it, but I'd throw him a damn party! But he won't do it because that would eliminate his ability to try to score with women by claiming that I don't let him see them - never mind that my address, phone number, and email address have not changed in the 8 YEARS since he last saw them, or that he also ignores his daughter with another woman.

    If he wants to give him up, LET HIM! Your son will be way better off without a reluctant, crappy father.

    Answer by wendythewriter at 10:54 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

  • No. I would need child support.

    Answer by staciandababy at 9:34 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

  • Yes, in a heartbeat

    Answer by missanc at 9:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

  • in our state HELL YES, because terminating rigth means no access to child HOWEVER we would still get support!
    but either way yes if he's such a asshat that he is willint to do that

    Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 9:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

  • I would in a heart beat. my sons father has nothing to do with him and he still won't do it.

    Answer by bubbasmomma13 at 10:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

Next question in General Parenting