Do you ever start something religious (book, documentary)...

and not even 5 minutes in your like "this is crap"?

so its been a while since ive watched a religious documentary on doc night. ive been putting this one doc off for awhile b/c i was afraid of how bad it would be. at the 3:18 mark the narrator says, "these ppl look so happy when they talk about Jesus, but are they the face of Christianity...is Jesus? what about these faces of Christianity?" and the first picture put up is Charles Manson. seriously?! how am i suppose to take this guy's word on anything when he jumps head first with that? crusades, sure...inquisition, a given...but Manson? just b/c he called himself Jesus Christ and lead ppl to kill doesnt mean he's a face of Christianity...i mean come on! if you say Osama Bin Laden is the face of Islam you'd be roasted, so why is Manson a viable choice?

i cant help but think it's guys like this film maker that give fundamentalists something to pretend to be threatened by. im gonna give it a few more minutes...just for a laugh.

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 9:52 PM on Dec. 6, 2012 in Religious Debate

• ah, wait, it was his "Case for the Real Jesus" that I read...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:26 AM on Dec. 10, 2012

• "have you watched "the Case for Christ"? the one written by the Atheist turned Christian. after this one i'll need to watch it just to balance out the extremism."

I read the book, I'm pretty sure. It wasn't * awful,* but yeah, it was written from a POV much more "traditional" than my own ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:25 AM on Dec. 10, 2012

• If you need a real remedy for the crazy, have you seen Lord Save Us From Your Followers yet?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:27 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• ive watched clips of Zeitgeist on Youtube a few years ago and was not impressed. it was put together a lot better than the one i watched the other night, but never showed any actual proof...just words. seeing as any simple delving into the histories shows that Zeitgeist wasnt always telling the truth.

Religulous wasnt too bad, but i knew full well what to expect seeing as it was Bill Maher. i got his point (even tho i didnt always agree) & was on board till the over the top ending...talk about a drama queen!
    okmanders

Comment by okmanders (original poster) at 11:47 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• Yep. "Religulous"
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• Hmmm, ya.
    Have any of you seen Zeitgeist? Crazy.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 9:37 AM on Dec. 8, 2012

• "Nope, is it sane?"

i dunno, im afraid to watch it haha.
    okmanders

Comment by okmanders (original poster) at 10:27 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• have you watched "the Case for Christ"?

Nope, is it sane?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:54 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• Yes.  It started with reading the Bible.  I know, I know, that sounds like a gauntlet being thrown, but many atheists are atheist because they finally actually read the Bible - all of it.  Recently, I was given a copy of the Book of Mormon, and am confronted with the same sense of amazement that it is taken so seriously by anyone.  Regardless, I plan to work my way through it.  I know people believe in those books, so the fact that I simply can't shouldn't be offensive to anyone.  Nor should the fact that I express my opinion offend anyone.  It is just my opinion, after all, offered in a section that is devoted to people having free expression of their opinions for the sake of discussion and debate. 

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:45 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• Haha, yup, that's happened to me before.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:24 PM on Dec. 6, 2012