Do you ever start something religious (book, documentary)...

and not even 5 minutes in your like "this is crap"?

so its been a while since ive watched a religious documentary on doc night. ive been putting this one doc off for awhile b/c i was afraid of how bad it would be. at the 3:18 mark the narrator says, "these ppl look so happy when they talk about Jesus, but are they the face of Christianity...is Jesus? what about these faces of Christianity?" and the first picture put up is Charles Manson. seriously?! how am i suppose to take this guy's word on anything when he jumps head first with that? crusades, sure...inquisition, a given...but Manson? just b/c he called himself Jesus Christ and lead ppl to kill doesnt mean he's a face of Christianity...i mean come on! if you say Osama Bin Laden is the face of Islam you'd be roasted, so why is Manson a viable choice?

i cant help but think it's guys like this film maker that give fundamentalists something to pretend to be threatened by. im gonna give it a few more minutes...just for a laugh.

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 9:52 PM on Dec. 6, 2012 in Religious Debate

• I tried watching one of the young earth docs that was on there. I knew going in what it would be like. Still had to turn it off after about 20 minutes - made me stabby.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:55 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Yes.  It started with reading the Bible.  I know, I know, that sounds like a gauntlet being thrown, but many atheists are atheist because they finally actually read the Bible - all of it.  Recently, I was given a copy of the Book of Mormon, and am confronted with the same sense of amazement that it is taken so seriously by anyone.  Regardless, I plan to work my way through it.  I know people believe in those books, so the fact that I simply can't shouldn't be offensive to anyone.  Nor should the fact that I express my opinion offend anyone.  It is just my opinion, after all, offered in a section that is devoted to people having free expression of their opinions for the sake of discussion and debate. 

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:45 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• Yep. "Religulous"
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• well, it doesn't take much for the fundamentalists to feel threatened ;)

I really can't think of a time this has happened in my case-
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:58 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Yeah I watched this documentary on PBS about this young guy who went th The Holy land and he went on and on about how much he Ioved Jesus and how he Iived and waIked in the image of Jesus. Turns out he was iIiegaIiy fiIming the whoIe thing. I was so mad by the end of the fiIm.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 9:58 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• Haha, yup, that's happened to me before.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:24 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• have you watched "the Case for Christ"?

Nope, is it sane?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:54 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• Hmmm, ya.
    Have any of you seen Zeitgeist? Crazy.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 9:37 AM on Dec. 8, 2012

• wow...so the dead at Waco were "crispy fans of Christianity's apocalyptic material"...
    okmanders

Comment by okmanders (original poster) at 9:53 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• well he's making points now, so im gonna stick with it...but at least i know he's extreme and not to be trusted haha
    okmanders

Comment by okmanders (original poster) at 10:07 PM on Dec. 6, 2012