Michigan is now, or will be soon a "right to work state!!!" Oh ya Unions are PISSED!!!!!!

I for one am glad. Maybe this will help with the economy. Unions are pissed cause they think it will break them. This more in likely will NOT happen, but at least now the workers can make their choice as to whether or not they want to pay Union dues and be Unionized. And if they opt out, they still can work and not be fired. I love this. The best thing, although I wish this happen sooner, but t least now we can go apply at a GM plant and not have to join the UAW. Granted, the odds applying and getting hired at GM, well lets say someone can won the powerball lotto easier and win before a person off the street can work at GM. But when a union worker gets $22 per hour,90% company paid healthcare,12 paid holidays per year,10 paid personal days per year,8 paid sick days per year, company pension with paid healthcare after 25/30 years employment and all this employee does for 8 hours a day is put 2 screws in a cars interior door handle or uses a machine to set in a car battery or puts 2 gallons of gas into the car its easy to see why employers are outsourcing American jobs to china and Mexico,and why so many Americans are turning against Unions.. This info is a bit dated, but it what my DH's buddy made. So maybe now this RTW thing will make the UAW and its Unionized people think twice before going on strike. With the RTW, GM can still hire people even if the other Unionized folks are on strike....
What are your thoughts ladies??

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:48 PM on Dec. 6, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• I heard that and I think that's great!!

Screw the Union! People need to work!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:52 PM on Dec. 6, 2012

• yeah...Oklahoma is a right to work state. and it sucks. nothing like firing ppl and not having to give them a reason. my brother was a manager at KFC, pulled in triple what the place was making before he took over, was owed a $4500 bonus...and they fired him one week before the bonus came out. didnt give a reason, didnt have to. they didnt want to give him unemployment but he could prove he was doing an above average job before they fired him. so im not a fan.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:05 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• "nothing like firing ppl and not having to give them a reason...."okmanders
    I am sorry about your brother. Me being paranoid, that $4500 bonus probably was the reason. KFC was probably like Walmart and they are cheap and didn't want to pay that bonus. Your brother brought in more money for them, and thats what they wanted then got rid of him. But all a RTW state is that you are under no obligation to join a Union or have to pay Union dues. Thats it. But your bro got the the UE though right?
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 12:18 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• Unions have served a very valuable purpose, and still do to a point, but some of their demands seem insane, like all of those paid vacation and sick days. It becomes cheaper to outsource jobs to other countries, and then Americans pay the price.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:35 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• we think it was the bonus too, but jokes on them. my bro got the UE and the KFC went under. half the employees quit b/c of his firing and a few months later they sold bad chicken that made of buncha ppl sick. my bro's boss cited RTW as the reason he didnt have to give a reason for the firing so i may be wrong. what stinks is that no other fastfood places will hire him, so he's at a Walmart right now.

the part about not having to join a Union sounds good to me. personal freedoms and all that jazz.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:00 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• In a union job, it's a lot harder to just fire someone. There are good things about that and bad things about it. The bad being that it IS hard to just fire someone who's not working out. But then again you can't just fire someone on a whim either.

California is allegedly a forced-unionization state but I've never had to join a union. At least not a public employees union, and I've worked in two jobs with public employee unions. One did take the equivalent of union dues but I wasn't bothered by it because I got the very good benefits package and I could claim the dues in my taxes. Win-win.

I did do some freelance work at Fox in LA and they tried to force me to join the union there. But since I only worked one weekend and earned less than the union dues would have been, I told them I wasn't joining and I wasn't pursued.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:14 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• We just voted on this, and the law failed to pass. The governor is now making it a law despite being voted down.  I really don't see this as saving or creating any jobs.  

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:11 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• right to work doesn't mean shit.
    Unions are what we need here in NC.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:21 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• Unions are a complete joke. I grew up in a Union family. My Father was the President of a Laborer Union in MO some years back, and the only thing I saw (when I belonged to it) were lazy entitled people. The people would hide out on the job, and were getting paid 20+ an hour with all of the bogus benefits. They would work an 8 hour day, and then if they were there 10 the 2 extra hours was over time, no matter if they worked less than 40 hours for the week. Makes no sense to me. That's a huge waste of money..... They would come to work drunk, high, and were only out to work enough to be able to draw unemployment. They never got fired for their lack of work, they were laid off which is BS.
    People need to stand on their own merit. If you can't do the job, and earn your place there shouldn't be someone to be there to babysit you, or pay you unemployment benefits so you can sit on your arse 6 months out of the year...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• Woo-hoo! Isn't it wonderful that now employers can abuse workers moreso than previously? Excellent.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:23 AM on Dec. 7, 2012