Michigan is now, or will be soon a "right to work state!!!" Oh ya Unions are PISSED!!!!!!

I for one am glad. Maybe this will help with the economy. Unions are pissed cause they think it will break them. This more in likely will NOT happen, but at least now the workers can make their choice as to whether or not they want to pay Union dues and be Unionized. And if they opt out, they still can work and not be fired. I love this. The best thing, although I wish this happen sooner, but t least now we can go apply at a GM plant and not have to join the UAW. Granted, the odds applying and getting hired at GM, well lets say someone can won the powerball lotto easier and win before a person off the street can work at GM. But when a union worker gets $22 per hour,90% company paid healthcare,12 paid holidays per year,10 paid personal days per year,8 paid sick days per year, company pension with paid healthcare after 25/30 years employment and all this employee does for 8 hours a day is put 2 screws in a cars interior door handle or uses a machine to set in a car battery or puts 2 gallons of gas into the car its easy to see why employers are outsourcing American jobs to china and Mexico,and why so many Americans are turning against Unions.. This info is a bit dated, but it what my DH's buddy made. So maybe now this RTW thing will make the UAW and its Unionized people think twice before going on strike. With the RTW, GM can still hire people even if the other Unionized folks are on strike....
What are your thoughts ladies??

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:48 PM on Dec. 6, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• . I grew up in a Union family. My Father was the President of a Laborer Union in MO some years back, and the only thing I saw (when I belonged to it) were lazy entitled people. The people would hide out on the job, and were getting paid 20+ an hour with all of the bogus benefits
    ***********************************************************************
    must be the people where you come from that are like that.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:11 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• I live in NC which is rtw and I hope the unions never come here, they only screw things up!

Answer by missanc at 11:26 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• The Unions have their place. Problem comes when they protect those who are not doing their jobs and force the company to keep bad workers on. My ex had a notebook on the problems with one employee and in a years time could not get rid of him. Late to work, drunk, not showing up, fighting on the job, you name it. The Union wouldn't let them get rid of the guy. When my ex left he kept the notebook and 2 years later got a call asking if he still had it. Turns out the guy almost killed someone at work when he showed up drunk again and they needed the documentation. What was just as bad is that the company builds engines for airplanes. Do you REALLY want to get in a plane that this kind of worker helped to build?

baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:33 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• The Unions can both be a good thing, and a very bad thing. Unions have had a very long and violent history, and it also has a strong history. 20 or so years ago, Unions were great and very much needed. Now days, they are still needed in many different areas of employment. But the Unions are getting greedy and selfish. This RTW thing will not break a Unions, but it will SEVERELY cut into the pocketbook big time. So it comes back down to money. They hate the fact that now folks have a choice whether or not they want to pay Union dues and forced into paying Union dues.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 7:25 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• Right to work is not all it is cracked up to be! Lmao
    I live in Idaho, and everyone I know commutes to Washington to make a living wage. Unions galore, and I'm not saying I'm a fan of unions, just that it seems to be a better option here.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 8:13 AM on Dec. 8, 2012

• I live in TN, a RTW state. Just this week, a factory in my town decided to strike because of talks of cutting benefits. This is a struggling factory so they will have to either cut benefits or jobs. Since this is a RTW state then being part of the union at this factory of course is optional, or is it? The workers that belong to the union (if u work there and aren't part if the union, you are treated like crap by co-workers) who don't necessarily want to strike have no choice but to do what the union wants them to do, so they strike and will earn a quarter if their wages till this is over. Union members who go against their union have eggs thrown at them, their cars broken into to, or worse.

Unions have out lived their purposes. If you don't like the way you are treated, find another job even if it means relocated to another city. For Michigan, this is a move to repair their economy for the greater good. Unions are bully's.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 11:53 AM on Dec. 11, 2012

• same old thing...
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 4:32 PM on Dec. 11, 2012