Would it be better to move this May or next May?

Just looking for opinions. I'm due in late-May/early-June with this number 2, and our lease is up May 1st. We live in a 2 bed/2 bath apartment and would hopefully be moving into a 3 bedroom single family home (still renting). DH thinks it'd be easier next year with more time to plan, but I think it'd be easier while I'm still pregnant, because I think I'd be able to help pack a lot more than I could next year with an 11 month old and a 3 year old keeping me busy. I just think I'd be too busy to do anything. We have money for a deposit this year and I'm just afraid by next year it would all be spent on other things and we would have no money for a deposit. So which do you think would be easier?

GothyMama

Asked by GothyMama at 12:55 AM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• I know exactly what you mean since our kids will be almost the same ages. I think moving earlier will be easier on you. As long as you guys get most of the unpacking done before the baby is born. It would be nice though once the baby is born to have the extra room since you will accumilate a lot more stuff....Rather than waiting a year (having more stuff to move, and two toddlers). Just my opinion. If you need anyone to watch Izzy, just let me know :)
    chrissy12507

Answer by chrissy12507 at 9:20 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• upgrade..!
    pawneendn

Answer by pawneendn at 1:08 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I think you could work to make either easier.
    This year you could help a lil...but c'mon now, your prego how much are you going to want to do? It would be easier to settle before the baby is born rather than getting the baby stuff all organized and put in place just to pack it up and move again. You would have more room for the new baby.

Next year you could save more money for rent/deposit, you would be more able to help physically, you can leave your kids with a babysitter or family while moving/packing, and you would have more time to look around and plan.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:10 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• You could try to start looking & if you find something quick enough before May gets here, this would be a good time because the Home Rates are down & definitely a good time to get into a home. Next May would be fine too. I don't think the economy is going to change that quickly for the best even though we all hope that it will. Either way, You can't lose & if you do decide to look now & nothing comes up in time before your due date, you can always look again later.
    onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 1:12 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Sooner may be better than later, depending on how rental occupancies are in your area. I think you might have better luck finding something now and working a good deal. And you are right...that deposit money could be gone by May 2010. Heck, a LOT of things can happen in a year.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:14 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I would try to move this year. It is a lot easier with one child than with 2. The amount of stuff you have with two seems to triple, unless they are the same sex.

I moved into our first house when I was 5 months pregnant.

We moved into the second place with a 21 month old and a 1 month old. The second move was a lot harder.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 2:13 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• oh not to mention with the market being so low right now...even rental prices are dropping because landloards are desperate. heck, my landlord is offering our house that we rented for 150 less than what we payed (he tried listing it at the same price but no one was interested, so you gotta do what you gotta do).
    chrissy12507

Answer by chrissy12507 at 9:22 AM on Feb. 12, 2009