Counting Calories

This is probably the stupidest question ever asked, but I was reading about some of you counting calories. How do you know how many calories are in things? I realize if you eat a serving of cereal or a granola bar or something like that, the nutrition info is on the box. But what about when you cook or go out?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 1:05 AM on Dec. 7, 2012 in Diet & Fitness

• I don't eat out much- but I will look uo thier info before we go-and decide what I'm eating before we get there. Sometimes I have to only eat half a meal...

the longer you do it -the easier it gets and you can kind of judge things sometimes.
    I keep a notebook and write everything down and if I'm cooking I add up all the ingredients-then divide it by how many servings to figure it out
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:30 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• There are calorie counting books and smartphone apps. I don't count calories myself. Too much work.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:15 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• That's why I loved doing weight watchers online - they had a thing that I could put in every ingredient of my meal and it would tally everything up per serving for me! A lot of restaurants have all that info available now too, either online or if you ask. I'm not a calorie counter usually, just don't care that much.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:38 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• myfitnesspal.com also lets you put in all your ingredients and totals it up for you. It's a great program.
    AngZacc

Answer by AngZacc at 9:52 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• I have a program that stores my recipes. It's called MasterCook. It figures the calories per serving whether I need that feature or not, so when I do count calories I just go by that. I believe I paid about $10 for the download, although you can buy hard copies for $20ish. I really love this program for organizing.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:31 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• you must eat yourdaily eggs to lose weight (proteins), plus braccolies and cabbage is good. Eating little of everything is a good way to go.
    kujus04

Answer by kujus04 at 2:56 AM on Dec. 7, 2012