Don't they normally discharge you with pain medication after a vaginal birth?

I don't know the normal procedure since I've only had two c-sections. I ask because they discharged my SIL from the hospital today and they didn't give her anything to come home with even though she'd been on the usual Percocet and Motrin in the hospital. Heck she was having some problems in the hospital even with the Percocet because she went 22 hours in labor with a posterior baby plus her fibromyalgia in her pelvis got triggered badly by the whole labor thing too.

Do they really normally expect you guys to just go back to normal life on Motrin or is her doctor just a jerk about pain meds?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 4:18 AM on Dec. 7, 2012 in Pregnancy

• You are right. They didn't give me anything with my vaginal birth,as in pain meds. Really I didn't need anything. Doesn't she allready have something for pain at home?

Answer by louise2 at 5:42 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• With my first they have me lortab and prescription strength motrin, but my son had shoulder dystopia and I had an episiotomy and awful tearing. After my 2nd and 3rd, I asked for it - not sure if they would have given it to me had I not asked.

Answer by missanc at 6:40 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• i did not have anything for pain when i was discharged.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:44 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• I was released with just stool softeners and told to take Motrin at home
    All I had was moderate period like cramps
    (vaginal birth)

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:05 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• I don't remember being given anything after either of my kids were born
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:23 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• honestly i cant remember having any pain meds after my first daughter was born, she was my only vaginal baby. i was having some pain from the stitches down there but i used sitz bath. i had two c-sections after her and do remember quite well the percocets lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:30 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• I have never recieved anything after my births. Just told to take Motrin or Tylenol.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 7:47 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• I got nothing other than ibuprofen (regular strength) in the hospital and was told to take that at home also with both my vaginal births. With my second she was posterior also and so my midwife said I could take up to 600mg of ibuprofen instead of the regular OTC dose. In the situation you discuss though there are other issues at play like the fibromyalgia. I would be calling her doc who normally takes care of her fibromyalgia and asking what to do about it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:48 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• I wasn't given Rx pain meds after any of my vaginal births, just told to take otc stuff.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:35 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• I wasn't given anything. I think they said to use Motrin.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 8:51 AM on Dec. 7, 2012