how can i set a bed time????

i have a 6 yr old boy who i've pretty much raised on my own since he was born with occasional help from my parents i dont have theyre help anymore cause ive moved out to be with my husband and my son anywho i'm having trouble getting my 6 yr old to go to bed early i dont know what i'm doing wrong or what i'm not doing that i should be doing. my son does not go to bed till wee hours of the morning which really doesnt give me and my husband quality time together how can i get my 6 yr old on a bedtime schedule any advice you ladies can give me would be great.

proudmother25

Asked by proudmother25 at 1:02 AM on Feb. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• what i did is no matter how late they go 2 sleep i wake them up at 5 in the morning they go 2 school and when they get home NO NAP what so ever so there 4 when 7 30 8 00 rolls around they are in bed now asleep and thats how i got mine in the routine
    sauna26

Answer by sauna26 at 1:15 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Mine are all in bed by 8:00-8:30. Maybe have him in bed by like 8:30-9:00 & maybe move it up to a bit ealier once he has that mastered. Alos tell him that bedtime is going to start being at (whatever time you set for him) & when it get's to be about 30 min & do a countdown (30, 20 & 10) Maybe also have him help you make a bed time chart. sort of a routine thing. HTH. Just stay consistant. You can do it, it will just take some time.
    party_of_5

Answer by party_of_5 at 9:59 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• You make him go to bed.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:59 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• you don't give him a choice. You put him to bed same time every night and make sure he knows that there are consequences for getting up out of bed.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:40 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• you can do what my parents did, everybody went to their rooms at 830. They didn't care if we went to sleep but we knew we were stuck in our rooms. Unless we had to go to the bathroom, any other reason than that we would get punished. My dd goes to bed at 8. She always has. she knows there is no negotiating it either, on the weekends of holidays we let her stay up later so we can sleep in lol.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 11:04 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Have him take a shower at seven and than put him to bed by 8:00 also read to him a short story or just tell him a story. You are the mother you set the rules not the child.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:14 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I have my kids start to get ready for bed around 7:45. Then they go to their rooms by 8:15 or so. They are allowed to read in their beds until 9:00. They are excited to get into bed so they have more time to read. At 9:00, I go in there and turn their lights off and turn some music on. Sometimes my son gets clingy, so I tell him I will check on him in a bit. If he is having a hard time falling asleep and it's getting late, I will late down and rub his back for like 10 mins. he usually falls asleep after that.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 12:28 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I agree. Establish a routine first. For my 6 yo it looks like this: shower at 7pm, stories together at 7:30, quiet time at 8 (he can read, draw, build legos, play his DS...anything quiet), lights out at 8:30. I go down to say good night and "tuck him in" per his request. My husband then goes in and he gets to ask two questions then answer two questions. That's it. If he gets out, we put him back. End of story. Going to bed outside that schedule is a rare treat. If he attempts to stretch it, he loses the privilege of quiet time the following night. It simply *is* what it *is.*
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:43 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I would set a routine, dinner, bath and storytime and then bed!
    wlradun

Answer by wlradun at 3:02 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• get your son in a routine and stick to it whether or not there is school.
    For my girls I give them a bath, brush teeth, read them a book, put their radio on, say our prayers then kiss them good night and close their door. I start at 7pm and they are asleep by 8pm
    If your son tries to come up wit excuses to stay up like I'm hungry, thirsty etc.. DONT feed into that just put him back in his bed ( don't talk to him) he only reason for him to get up is the bathroom.
    Make it clear to him if he can't stay in bed then his bed time will be earlier.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 4:05 PM on Feb. 12, 2009