How can we help her stop crying over little things or when she doesn't get her way? Also speed up when preparing for K class?

DD is doing great considering it's her first year in school. She's reading on the 1st grade level, math is also extremely higher than her kindergarten classmates. She's doing great as far as education is concerned. The problem is her whining or crying and attitude when she doesn't get her way. If when walking to class and she is walking too slow we'll ask her to pick up her pace she'll get upset. And yes she has plenty of time to get to class, we're not running late but she's looking in the library or at the stuff on the wall. If she notices a classmate behind her she wants to wait for that classmate and then go to class. When going in the class she's like the last one to take her coat off and put her things away. She can be the 1st in the room, other kids come in and get ready for the day and she's still taking her coat off or getting her folder out of her book bag. It's time to go home and she's the last out of the class room EVERY time. If I ask her to focus on her task I get an attitude. She'll cross her arms or stomp; she's clapped & clasped her hands together. This morning she cried & refused to take her coat off because I wouldn't let her walk with a classmate. Mentally I'm thinking that she's not ready for K. I'm not a dr but I'm thinking that mentally she's not on the level of the other kids. I told DH that not once have I ever seen another K student cry when their mom picks them up but she has several times. But the attitude isn't just in school she'll give attitude at home. At home I have solutions for the behavior but when it happens at school what can we? Just in case she'll be 6 in a few months.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Dec. 7, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• whining or crying and attitude when she doesn't get her way - all normal for her age...

Talk to her teacher... the in school stuff is there for her teachers to handle and they have methods

as for the walking to school... handle that the same you would at home... cause and effect... if she doesn't do what's expected there are consequences... make a rule, enforce it, be consistent, make the punishment fit the crime...

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:26 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• On the way to school we can't stand in the corner. And after school is too late to punish her for the behavior. I'm lost
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:51 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• She;'s just a slow mover and all 5 yr old have a bit of attitude ; )

If whe is getting there and doing fine with her work and such -I'd leave it be *though I know it can get annoying at times

My son has always been slow at walking, and getting out of the car and such...he is 16 now and it's still the same!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:53 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• UGH- stupid typos...

all 5 yr olds -not old
    if she- not whe
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:55 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• My daughter will be 6 in March and does the same thing. If we don't have a corner for her to stand in, she put her nose on the nearest wall, if necessary. My daughter's teacher will send stuff home for her to finish if she doesn't get it done in class. The tantrums and attitude get no attention until she can use her good manners again.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:47 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• On the way to school we can't stand in the corner. And after school is too late to punish her for the behavior.

Why is after school too late to punish?? She's not a dog... she can recall what she did wrong several hours before. Tell her if she pitches a fit on the way to school she will have _____ taken away for a hour when she gets home, or she can't do ______ that day after school. It worked great for my kids... my DD especially would have a meltdown almost every morning about something ridiculous... I had a zero tolerance policy about freaking out over nothing. I would tell her what the concequences were going to be and when the punishment would happen, when she got home I would enforce the punishment. It took about two weeks, but the behavior changed.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:45 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• The late punishment was my feelings on how to handle the situation,,, here and now and then move on. But hours later seemed like it was IMO too late.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:16 PM on Dec. 11, 2012