Needs help getting dressed

Ok ladies, I need some serious help here. Lately, it has been a HUGE struggle to get my 3 year old dressed in the morning. He has no problems putting the clothes on, he just doesn't want to do it. This has been going on for a couple of months now. I've tried making it a game, who can get dressed faster. I've tried a timer with a sticker reward for beating it. I've tried harping, nagging and time-outs for not listening. This morning I threatened to take him to school in his jammies but my husband said absolutely not. I realize this might be a phase, but I don't have time to screw around with this in the morning. My husband and I both have jobs to get to. I have been giving him anywhere from 15 minutes to a half hour to get dressed so it's not like I'm rushing him. I need some suggestions before I go crazy.

hootie826

Asked by hootie826 at 11:18 AM on Dec. 7, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Do you let him pick out his own clothes? I let mine choose between 2 outfits and it has cut down a lot on the hassles.

Answer by missanc at 11:20 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• It's not the picking of the clothes either. I give him a choice of 2 things and he picks one. That part goes quickly and without a fight. It's the actual getting them on his body.
    hootie826

Comment by hootie826 (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• just do it for him? my 3.5 yo likes to get dressed by himself but on mornings he has to get up early for school its just easier and faster if he stands there and lets me do it for him...takes like 5min tops...
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 11:33 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• At 3 I would be physically dressing him if he refused to do it. It's not something open to bribing or games for me. It's something that has to be done. Sending him in his pajamas would be a really bad idea because then he'd think he never had to get dressed again.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:33 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• It would be much quicker just to help him get dressed. I'm sure my children were much older before they actually were able to understand the concept of time as it related to getting dressed and getting somewhere on time.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:27 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• When my boys were that age, I just told them, "Getting dressed by yourself is what big boys do. But if you don't want to be a big boy, that's fine. I'll treat you like a baby and dress you myself."

Most of the time, it worked to make them do it themselves. And when it didn't, I followed through and did it myself. I didn't have time to screw around either.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• I was having a similar issue with my almost 4 year old, but it was more of a battle of wills. She didnt like what I chose, but didnt want to choose herself. Then she didnt want me to help her, but she didnt want to do it herself either. I literally had to fight with her while she was kicking me and the clothes off to get her dressed, resulting in me being late for work a few times. It ended up being an awful phase that passed, but not soon enough lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:23 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• Have him help pick out clothes the night before, then just get him dressed on weekdays. My point of view is that some things are not worth the frustration.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:27 PM on Dec. 7, 2012