Why the hypocrisy?

There are so many women who are so passionate about breast feeding, they will verbally and emotionally abuse complete strangers if they even suspect that person didn't "try hard enough" to bf. It's as if they expect anyone who didn't to hand over their complete medical records in order to justify the decision. And there are many more who aren't that militant, but will still turn their nose up at someone who discusses formula, equating it to laziness.

So why is it so many of these same women who act as if formula feeding is like peeing in the swimming pool go on to feed their ebf babies pop tarts and hot dogs and granola bars and fruit snacks and Capri Sun and chicken nuggets when they can eat solids? Why be so insistent that everyone do it your way for the first year (or 2 or 3), and then spend the next 20 feeding them crap that's far worse than anything you'll find in formula?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:07 PM on Dec. 7, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• LOL, I have no idea. I tried it for one week and hated every moment of it. Not for me.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:08 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• I didn't breast feed, I tried with DD but I hated it! I like a glass of wine, and I also liked her FATHER being able to feed her? I can't stand the breast feeding nazis. I am sure that my selfishness resulted in them being dim-witted and having anxiety issues, but at the age of 14 and 8 and still waiting for it. LOL
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 3:13 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• And really let's be 100% honest, how many of us have NEVER peed in a swimming pool?
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 3:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• hahah that's a good question!!! I think it's more or less people trying to make themselves holier than thou.

But I didn't bf either... I just couldn't bring myself to even try it. I don't know why but it grosses me out when I see it in public. I mean more power to ya if ya want to flop it out, but not me. lol

goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 3:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

Going to go wipe off my monitor now...
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:18 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• I never knew either was a big deal until I came on this site.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:26 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• Because there are fanatics everywhere that believe that THEIR way is the ONLY way to do things.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:57 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• I don't know. I was breastfed, but then given oodles of junk and crap growing up, so I was a fat kid until I was about 14. I am doing my best to make sure I don't repeat that mistake with my own kids. I breastfed them, I don't allow junk like HFCS or empty calorie snacks, I have switched to organic milk, etc. Their food and activity level is one thing I feel like I can control for now to keep them healthier and at a healthy weight. My husband was formula fed, but could eat all the crap he wanted, so he struggled with his weight as a kid, too. We had a different start, but the same issues with the crap food.
    Every mom is different. I have a friend who mostly formula feeds, but she cooks all healthy stuff, everything from scratch. She's good at it, too.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:06 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• Yes, I have noticed that too.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 4:21 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• What you described is why you shouldn't take people's opinions too seriously.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:18 PM on Dec. 7, 2012