Why the hypocrisy?

There are so many women who are so passionate about breast feeding, they will verbally and emotionally abuse complete strangers if they even suspect that person didn't "try hard enough" to bf. It's as if they expect anyone who didn't to hand over their complete medical records in order to justify the decision. And there are many more who aren't that militant, but will still turn their nose up at someone who discusses formula, equating it to laziness.

So why is it so many of these same women who act as if formula feeding is like peeing in the swimming pool go on to feed their ebf babies pop tarts and hot dogs and granola bars and fruit snacks and Capri Sun and chicken nuggets when they can eat solids? Why be so insistent that everyone do it your way for the first year (or 2 or 3), and then spend the next 20 feeding them crap that's far worse than anything you'll find in formula?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:07 PM on Dec. 7, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• I honestly feel like some of those hard-core pro-breastfeeding women are less about the health of their children and more about "look what a good mother I am". In other words, I feel they see the ability to breastfeed more as a commendation of their mothering skills rather than a natural way to feed their offspring. They want it to be a badge of honor saying they are better because they endured the time, effort and inconvenience of breastfeeding.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:21 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• shrugging  That's all I got.  I don't know why people do the things they do.  But, I guess they justify all of their actions to themselves in some form or another. 

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:11 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• Because people are assholes! No other reason than that.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:18 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• Short answer? People are stupid.

Long answer? Cuz they're bitches who have no life and need to put down other people to make themselves feel better.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:59 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• I have a medical condition that prevented me from breast feeding. Honestly even if I didn't I would have chosen formula anyway. I did get alot of raised eyebrows and obnoxious comments from people about not bf. I didn't wanna have to explain my medical issues in detail to every nosy asshole who thought I was a bad mom so I just tuned them out. I never even think to ask someone how they choose to feed their baby cuz it's really none of my freaking buisness. Half the time I think they ask just so they can go on talking about it for an hour so they feel good about themselves. I don't know why everyone feels so entitled to pry into people's personal decisions then berate them for it. Especially when it's a total stranger. It seems like no matter what choices you make for raising your children there will always be somebody waiting to let you know how you are a horrible mother.
    LBoogie0617

Answer by LBoogie0617 at 2:44 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• I can only say because they have an Holier than thou attitude and the most that are hateful about are not doing it for the well being of the child in my opinion they are doing it to fit in and keep up with this or that. The ones that truly do it for the benefit of the child would be caring, supportive and try to positively coach a person who couldnt (just in case they could help them if they wanted to BF).

So in a nutshell they are asshats!
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 2:47 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• And really let's be 100% honest, how many of us have NEVER peed in a swimming pool?
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 3:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• Good question. I've been berated before (by strangers and people I know) about never breast feeding. It is beyond obnoxious and annoying and my usual response to assholes like this is mind your own fucking business. I can not stand busy bodies!
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 2:14 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• because many of them think that breastmilk will save their child from any future problems. the way breastfeeding is sold now a days, you'd think all you'd have to do is breastfeed and your child will automatically have the highest IQ, be the most securely attached, never be obese no matter what crap they eat, never get sick, etc. so if the "golden nectar" is sold to do all these things, who cares if i feed my child crap on a stick?!

breastfeeding is a status symbol to those types, something trendy & now, all the rage, etc. it shows that their DH's are rich enough that they dont have to work or are fortunate enough to work somewhere that allows them long maternity leaves or pump breaks.

imo its equal to the moms who use the AAP to show how great breastfeeding is, but then ignore everything the AAP says about the importance of vaccines.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:56 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• Thats a good question... Ive wondered why some of the militant BF moms will feed themselves a bunch of crap, including drinking alcohol, and taking fairly risky meds, but while blow a gasket over formula!!! It makes you shake your head, and just walk away because there is no reasonin with illogic like that!!
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:20 PM on Dec. 7, 2012