"Nice boobs, mama." How do I respond to my 3-year-old son?

My son is often in the bathroom with me while I towel off from the shower or get ready for the day. I am not ashamed of my body form and I want to teach my kids that the human body is a beautiful thing and that it's not to be considered taboo when naked. I want to teach modesty yes, but not embrassment about your natural body. How do I teach this and respond to him correctly?

Kimberly2009

Asked by Kimberly2009 at 1:37 AM on Feb. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would probably say, "well thank you, but a nicer thing to say would be, you look very nice today."
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:38 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I would say "thanks." Then talk to dad. Because that term comes from dad. And he needs to hear dad say "you look nice today." Until he is old enough to realize you don't say "nice boobs" to your ma. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:41 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• hahahaha my daughter says that to me too..and then i say "thanks pumpkin" and she says "i want boobies to" and i say "ohh one day you will"
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:52 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I don't know. I honestly wouldn't see a problem with it unless my child did it in public too lol. Every time I undress my daughter says "oooh, my booboos". She is 2. I don't mind, and I don't think it means she is going to be a boob fiend and talk about everyone's boobs as she gets older haha.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:56 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• LOL. Was he breastfed? I don't think a 3 yo understands sexualization, I would agree he heard it somewhere, or doesn't understand that normally that's a sexual comment.

Hehehe. That made me giggle.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 5:37 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Thank him for the compliment and if you prefer not to hear the word "boobs" come out of his mouth correct him with the word "breasts".

I would also explain to him that while it's okay to comment at home, it's not polite to say things like that in public and not to other women! lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:56 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Thank you for all the answers. I agree that it's not a problem until he tells someone else that in public or worse at church. LOL This was more just an attempt to get validation for what I had already thought. I just want them to be comfortable with nakedness and their own bodies--you know to know its ok to be curious and yet appropriate at the same time. This helped a lot. Thank you. Cafe Mom is great!
    Kimberly2009

Answer by Kimberly2009 at 12:43 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Oh, my almost 3 yr old son (who is very immature) walked into the bra store with me and shouted...BOOBIES!....I didn't even know he knew that word since hes a bit speech delayed. It surprised me so much that I couldn't help but laugh. I did tell him to be quiet. I don't think I could have explained anything to him. Hes simply too immature to understand, but apparently enough to know what boobies are and no he was not breastfed.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:28 PM on Feb. 12, 2009