Freaky situation w/ mouse & sticky trap

So we've heard some evidence of mice w/in the walls. I set out a couple of sticky traps. Caught 1 a couple of wks ago. When I checked the trap today b/c it had been moved, I noticed fur stuck to it but no mouse. So I put down a new trap & today when I got home the whole thing was gone! WTH?! Is this some kind of bald super mouse or what?! I obviously need to go buy some better traps but was wondering if any of you have dealt with something like this before? (I also have peppermint oil to put around the baseboards now too)

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 6:27 PM on Dec. 7, 2012 in Home & Garden

• Ugh the whole trap was gone? I guess you'll notice the smell soon if it still has the trap stuck to it.

When I was in VA I thought I had mice in my apt but they were rats. I had the same problem with them getting away and it scared me to imagine the creature that would leave fur on a glue trap and drag it into the living room. Try using rat traps or T-Rex style traps.

Ughhhh I hope you find it and take care of the problem.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 7:10 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• Yuck. I don't do the sticky traps. I can't bear to deal with something alive and stuck to the trap. We buy the cheap wooden/metal ones and throw them out when we catch something.

I've got peppermint oil in my kitchen drawers (on a cotton ball). We have had DOZENS of mice this year and traps are sold out in all the surrounding stores. Crazy year for mice I guess.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:45 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• Ugh...yes, we've had two birds, a mouse and several spiders in our sticky traps. I really don't like that. We freed the two birds but sadly, didn't see the mouse in time. Makes me sick to think some poor mouse suffered in that trap. Now we are more careful about them and use the kind that are folded over. Anyway, sounds like your mouse ran away with the trap and all? Call Ace Hardware and ask them what to do about mice traps or even an online pest control company must have ideas.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, they will drag it if they just catch a tail or something. You should be able to hear it though. Could it be a squirrel or something?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:07 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• It might not be a mouse.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:46 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• Crazy. I've never had that happen. I love sticky traps (but am super thankful we haven't had a mouse in a couple of years!).
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:02 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• My parents thought they had mice in the attic, turned out it was squirrels! Might not have been mice fur you saw on the trap, a squirrel would be big enough to drag a trap away

Answer by missanc at 9:21 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• ^^Anon- the traps were in my cold air vent where we think they are somehow in the duct work. I didn't put them outside. I can't for the life of me figure out how the damn thing escaped back into the walls w/ a trap attached to it! It's kinda freaking me out, like I could be dealing with something bigger than a mouse! ewwww!
    mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 6:54 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• Why would anyone use those? :(

we used the plastic ones with doors - and you could let them go after you caught them
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:08 PM on Dec. 7, 2012