Is this inappropriate?

My 8 year old daughter is having a snow ball dance tonight. We picked out matching dresses. They are both covered in multicolored sequins. We thought it was cute. My mom saw them and started commented that it is inappropriate for me to wear the a-line sequin dress. I have a plain black dress and now I don't know if I should go bold and matching or something more plain and mature.

The dress looks better in person since you can't really get good grasp of color, but just as an example of how many sequins we're talking here...

mine
http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1231534/candies-sequin-body-con-dress.jsp
hers
http://www.shopjustice.com/girls-clothing/sequin-party-dress/8371332

LittleBubbles

Asked by LittleBubbles at 7:24 PM on Dec. 7, 2012 in Beauty & Style

• I don't actually know what a snow ball dance is but my thought is that if you are a grown up you should wear what you wish, within reason. I see nothing wrong with the dress you've chosen but perhaps I'm missing something
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:26 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• I say just have fun and wear sparkles mom's come from different generations and have opinions about everything.
    pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 7:32 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• Is the dress really short on you? That's the only thing I could see a problem with.

Otherwise it sounds like your mom is being a buzz kill and you should have fun. There's no reason moms have to stick to boring colors and/or patterns just because we have kids.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:33 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• I'd say it's (yours is ) only inappropriate if it's really short on you or really tight, or both. Considering it's an event for kids. But, if it's not, then I see no problem.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:33 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• When you are looking back at the pictures, are you going to see yourself in a plain black dress and wonder why you didn't wear the sequins? Wear what you like without apology and have a wonderful time with your daughter. If your mother thinks it's inappropriate, then all the better.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:39 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• I agree with Libras- it is only inappropriate if it fits tightly or is really short... Check your DD's school dress code and make sure it meets the criteria. While it may look amazing- you would need to keep school policy in mind as well as the comfort of the other parents- since you will be chaperoning and interacting with their kids.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:44 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• It looks clingy and short and you know you will be dancing around with a bunch of kids. Possibly bending over. Not to mention prepubescent boys who have just started to notice the female anatomy will be present and looking for a peek. It is not a good choice for a school function. It is an excellent choice for an adult affair or even a Christmas party. You are there to 'work' by volunteering- you need to be dressed appropriately for helping out. I am not sure that dress meets the function of your presence.
    Anonymous

• I'm not sure if theres a dress code? But if you and your daughter picked them out and are happy who cares? Have fun.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 7:51 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• I dont think its inappropriate at all. I think both dresses are beautiful! I say wear it! And have fun!! :)
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 7:52 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• I see nothing wrong with it as long as it's not too short and follow the school's dress code.
    Anonymous