Has your baby ever taken Nystatin (for thrush)?

My 8 week old baby is being treated for thrush with nystatin oral suspension. I swear it puts her to sleep! The doctor says that isn't a side effect but every time I give her the med, she's out like a light. Did this happen to any of you?

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 8:27 PM on Dec. 7, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes
    escuchar

Answer by escuchar at 9:23 AM on Mar. 12, 2014

• one of my DS had thrush and once they relaxed after the taking the medicince they did fall asleep
    KLynneH

Answer by KLynneH at 4:25 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• DS was on it a few times but I don't remember any sleepiness.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 1:08 AM on Dec. 12, 2012

• My oldest took Nystatin for thrush. I doubt it made him sleep. Nothing short of a sledge hammer could get that kid to sleep unless he was ready. He's nearly 15 and still doesn't sleep.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:55 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Three rounds of nystatin for both of us (nursing) and nothing so they put me on diflucan and her on genetian violet. I do not remember her sleeping any more or less from the nystatin.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• nystatin did not work and was messy! i took diflucan and used GV on her
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:45 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• I used Nystatin with my oldest when he was a baby, but it didn't help. They switched us both to Diflucan (pills for me and liquid for him) instead. I agree with the above posters though. It's probably bringing enough relief to go to sleep.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:22 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• I've only ever used the Nystatin powder for a bad yeast infection in the diaper area. I would think the other moms have it right and the reason the baby is falling asleep is due to relief, not anything in the med itself.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:11 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• yes my dd was prescribed nystatin for thrush. when she had thrush she was pretty young too and the medicine its self didnt put her to sleep it was mainly her age! babies that young need lots of sleep so they can grow and thrive!! plus when babies fight an infection that takes alot of work too i wouldnt worry about your baby sleeping so much :)

rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 9:12 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• No, my son was prescribed Nystatin for a possible yeast infection (diaper area). Yogurt worked faster and better. 3 days Nystatin no improvement overnight with yogurt noticable clearing the next morning.
    links above
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:40 PM on Dec. 7, 2012