Has your baby ever taken Nystatin (for thrush)?

My 8 week old baby is being treated for thrush with nystatin oral suspension. I swear it puts her to sleep! The doctor says that isn't a side effect but every time I give her the med, she's out like a light. Did this happen to any of you?

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 8:27 PM on Dec. 7, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Thrush hurts and the Nystatin probably brings baby a little relief, which would result in good sleep :)
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:36 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• I remember 2 of my kids took it, but don't remember how they reacted - it's been a while! Maybe it's because the med brings relief? Like when I give DS tylenol he falls asleep within 30 minutes because his pain is gone.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:34 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• Yes, my first one had Thrush. The Nystatin never worked though. The only thing that worked was gentian violet.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:34 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:39 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• No, my son was prescribed Nystatin for a possible yeast infection (diaper area). Yogurt worked faster and better. 3 days Nystatin no improvement overnight with yogurt noticable clearing the next morning.
    links above
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:40 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• yes my dd was prescribed nystatin for thrush. when she had thrush she was pretty young too and the medicine its self didnt put her to sleep it was mainly her age! babies that young need lots of sleep so they can grow and thrive!! plus when babies fight an infection that takes alot of work too i wouldnt worry about your baby sleeping so much :)

rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 9:12 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• I've only ever used the Nystatin powder for a bad yeast infection in the diaper area. I would think the other moms have it right and the reason the baby is falling asleep is due to relief, not anything in the med itself.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:11 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• I used Nystatin with my oldest when he was a baby, but it didn't help. They switched us both to Diflucan (pills for me and liquid for him) instead. I agree with the above posters though. It's probably bringing enough relief to go to sleep.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:22 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• nystatin did not work and was messy! i took diflucan and used GV on her
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:45 PM on Dec. 7, 2012

• Three rounds of nystatin for both of us (nursing) and nothing so they put me on diflucan and her on genetian violet. I do not remember her sleeping any more or less from the nystatin.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:33 PM on Dec. 8, 2012