Esophagus contractions???found after barium swallow,cant' see gastro until Feb.

I am having trouble swallowing and sometimes choking on food.I had head/neck radiation 2 yrs ago for 35 wks of daily sessions for cancer of the parotid gland and had my salivary gland removed.what could it be?thanks in advance!

pitbull4me

Asked by pitbull4me at 1:52 AM on Dec. 8, 2012 in Health

• Is it possibly due to dry mouth? I've had radiation therapy to the head and neck also,and I have trouble swallowing at times due to my dry mouth. There's a toothpaste and mouthwash specifically for people with dry mouth that helps biogenesis if you don't already use it. You don't realize how much your saliva helps break down your food and swallowing until you don't have any or very little.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 2:08 AM on Dec. 8, 2012

• That's supposed to be Biotene not biogenesis.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 2:09 AM on Dec. 8, 2012

• I do use that and also the fluoride trays for 10 mins every night.I chew sugarless gum at all times also.I f you do not mind,what type of cancer do/did you have?I had acinic cell carcinomea of the parotid. Had a tumor the size of a golf ball removed.It was wrapped around the main facial nerve on the left side.Finally have about 90% of muscle control back.But, still have facial spasms every now and then. Also, have some problems forming words and spitting when I talk.LOL! thanks
    pitbull4me

Comment by pitbull4me (original poster) at 2:28 AM on Dec. 8, 2012

• Nasopharyngeal carcinoma, the tumor was located in my nasopharynx area, but it spread into my sinuses and a few lymph nodes in my neck. I didn't have surgery due to it's location just chemo and radiation.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:38 AM on Dec. 8, 2012