If my kids have already had the flu this year, do they still need a Flu vaccine?

My kids just got over the flu a week ago. They were sick for almost a full week. Body aches, high fever, sore throat, cough.....Are they now imune to the strain of flu thats going around or should they still get vaccinated?

RubyBlue82

Asked by RubyBlue82 at 2:24 PM on Dec. 8, 2012 in Kids' Health

• there are hundreds of strains of the flu out there. Just because they had it doesnt mean they wont get it again.
    I personally dont like the flu shot and wont give it to my kids. I have never had the fly shot and never had the flu (knock on wood) that goes for my kids too. Everyone I know that has gotten the flu shot gets sick.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:51 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• Were they tested by a doctor to see if it WAS influenza?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:53 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• We have never had a flu shot either...but my oldest missed alot of school from being sick, so I was thinking about it. We are always precaustious. Using hand sanitizer ALL the time. My daughters constantly wash their hands etc, but they still got sick. I didn't take them to the doctors, but I know it was the flu.
    RubyBlue82

Comment by RubyBlue82 (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• Without medical tests, you can't be sure that the illness your girls got is the same strain being vaccinated against with the flu shot. If you would ordinarily get the flu shot for protection, then you still need to do it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:38 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• flu shots only protect against a few strains of influenza. Call your child's doctor.
    Anonymous

• There are hundreds of strains at any given time and the shot is made up of the ones they think will be the most prominent. Without being tested there is no way to know if the strain they had was one of the ones in the vaccine. Getting the shot will not guarantee they do not get sick again.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:44 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• First, you are not a doctor and can not know if your children had the flu. The ONLY way to know is through a nose swab. Yes, you should get a flu shot. The flu shot this year is the strain that is supposed to hit the worst. Also, the FLU SHOT DOES NOT CAUSE THE FLU!!!!! IF you get sick from the vaccine it is because you already had the virus in your body. It takes 2 weeks for the shot to become effective.
    Anonymous

• Really annon? Do you have to be a Dr. to know what sore throat, cough, high fever, and body aches is????? I wasn't going to take my kids away from their nice compfy bed, down to the Dr. office so they could tell me what I already know. Get rest and drink plenty of fluids....Ok enough ranting. I'm closing this frickn' question :P
    RubyBlue82

Comment by RubyBlue82 (original poster) at 11:33 PM on Dec. 9, 2012