Prek field trips

my daughter is in a new daycare/ pre k and once she turns 4 they allow them to go on field trips. to the local library and some they do swimming ect. Just local field trips.It concerns me becausee she never been on a school bus. They say they have car seats ect but I asked if she has to go and she doesn't have to but I hate to see her left out if all her classmates go and she is left behind. I am think about going on some field trips just so it can ease my mind. Anyone else were a little concerned about their little one going on field trips so young? The supervisin also concerns me if iI didn't state that as well.

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 6:14 PM on Dec. 8, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Honestly, it sounds like the newness of the situation is a big factor for you. The fact that you aren't completely comfortable with the place, and that she is still 3 years old, likely are behind your concern and your feelings of discomfort. I don't think I felt anxious about the swimming trips (these really were the only regularly scheduled trips; I think once in 3 years they went to a farm, and once they went to an auto museum/garage, but they did the swim trips every other week) but that was largely because I felt extremely comfortable with the way things were run & with her class & teachers. All the protocol (including transportation information) was in writing and we had release forms to sign, so it wasn't like hearing about it in conversation or in passing--the info was in my hands. And I had a lot of confidence in her teacher & the assistant. It was a small group & a good situation, and my confidence stemmed from that.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:40 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• Mine have all gone on preschool field trips starting at 2, but I went on all of them just because I wanted to go, not out of concern.

Answer by missanc at 6:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• I went to a few when ds was in PreK. Going on one should ease your mind. I went when they went to the Bronx Zoo, I thought the director was NUTS! LOL!!! But the ratio was 2 kids to 1 adult there and it wasn't so bad.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:27 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• Never bothered me when my kids went on preschool field trips at 3 & 4. But I also know they had a LOT of parents go along - if they couldn't get enough to go, they didn't go. I went on as many as I could.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 6:28 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• Ask them lots of questions. Ask what the kid to adult ratio is (when I went on a trip with my then 5th grader, the ratio was 5 to 1, any less than that for these younger kids would concern me), how they ensure no one is left behind, how they make sure the group is still together, etc. Ask to see the vehicles they use so you can see the car seats for yourself. Maybe see if you can talk to other parents who've already had kids go on the trips for a little extra reassurance.

And definitely go when you can - not only will it reassure you, but it'll be a fun memory for you both!
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• My kids always went. They had so much fun. She would feel bad if she was left behind.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:37 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• i was never able to go when my girls went on their field trips. don't worry to much about the bus trip. she'll probably love it. all three of mine rode the bus because our car broke down and it was almost a two hour walk to get the school. the teachers normally go over the rules of the bus with the kids weeks before they step foot on it. they'd come home and tell me it was the best day ever.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 6:54 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• My Son's Preschool had field trips but the Parents were required to bring them to the place then they would meet their class but the Parents had to stay and chaperon. I would NOT let my Son go at that age without me being there anyway, so go.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:21 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• well, I can't go on all of them because I work full time and I am a single mother. So going all of them is out of the question. I will go on the first one though. She doesn't turn 4 until march so I do have some time and it will be spring time so it will be good for outside activities ect.
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 6:21 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• I can go on the first one or so but it's after that concerns me. I can't just drop everything and go so I will go on the first one and see how it goes.
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 6:26 PM on Dec. 8, 2012