Boxed cake mix vs homemade

My dauthter is turning 4 Wednesday and has requested chocolate cupcakes. We're just doing a small family thing for her actual bday (the party is later this month) so is there really a huge difference in the taste quality between the two?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 7:37 PM on Dec. 8, 2012 in Food & Drink

• Sorry for typos...damn iphone
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 7:38 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• Her bays the 12th? That my dhs bay:) I've never made homemade so idk just had to share.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 7:44 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• Yep :) 12/12/12!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 7:45 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• To me, they taste totally different and thanks to my mother not ever being a baker ( lol) I actually prefer the boxed cake (I know there is something wrong with me!) Anyway- imo they are both good, the major difference is that home made cake has less filler and processed stuff in it but the boxed ind is quicker and easier...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:46 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• Yes, but not one a 4 year old would notice.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:46 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• That's true too NP...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:47 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• I think you'll find boxed cake mixes comparable to homemade, especially in a common flavor like chocolate. What a cool birth date for your daughter this year!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:48 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• Lol I know but I kinda wanted to experiment the home made recipe more for us adults (plus my 6 year old is a chocolate connosseur) but I don't wanna thru the trouble if they taste the same.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• I'd go with boxed.. way easier and I think it tastes great. I just don't like store bought frosting.. Blech!
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 7:52 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• Here is a compromise! This is SOOO good. It is a recipe to 'doctor' a box mix. LINK  Here is another that is SUPER simple- we have made it once with cherry pie filling.  It was divine.  LINK

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:52 PM on Dec. 8, 2012