Anyone have advice for me?

My family got a 3 month old Chihuahua puppy today. We named her Bella. She is a tiny little critter and the sweetest dog we have ever had. Anyway, we know to keep her warm when she goes outside and to not have her out to long. Anyone have any other advice for taking care of her? Any special needs the breed may have?
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 10:00 PM on Dec. 8, 2012 in Pets

• All I can say is keep that dog on a leash. People think it's ok to have a little dog off a leash cause it won't bite or hurt anyone. That is not the case. If there is a bigger dog running around cause it's owner is irresponsible as well your dog can get seriously hurt. Or if it wonders on to someone's property that has a big dog and it attacks yours than it's your fault for not having her on a leash. I hate when my neighbors let their min-pin out without a least. I always have to have mine on a leash because of her size.
    SaraD1989

Answer by SaraD1989 at 10:12 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• Will do. The only time we take her out without a leash on is when we take her out to the backyard tro potty. Its fenced in, so there shouldn't be any big dogs back there. But, when we take her out front or out, we have/will have her on a leash.

It irritates the crap out of me when my neighbor lady lets her two terriers run all over. They come in our yard and bark at us. I am also worried that either the neighbors bigger dog is gonna get lose and attack one of them, or they are gonna get out in the street and get hit. I WILL NOT be doing that with Bella.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Comment by spiritguide_23 (original poster) at 10:22 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• Great! I didn't mean to make it seem like you would, but people with smaller dogs think it's ok cause they won't hurt anyone.But they can easily get hurt by someone else's dog.
    SaraD1989

Answer by SaraD1989 at 10:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• The smaller the breed, the harder it is to potty train them. Be consistent. We had a mini Pomeranian and that thing was totally brain damaged. I never could get her trained. As she aged, she developed so many ailments. She was on tons of medications. I finally had to give her to my brother because I couldn't afford to keep her alive....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• If you have a problem potty training try puppy pads, worked with my Chihuahua.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 12:28 AM on Dec. 9, 2012

• I have a 2 month old chiweenie - be prepared for hyperness, having to squeeze anal glands, gnawing on anything and everything, possibly some crying overnight, and being more work than a human baby. Well, that's how my last 10 days have gone anyway.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 12:44 AM on Dec. 9, 2012

• not alwaya m-avi....i have fostered MANY dogs and it just depends on the dog's willingness to please. i have a little chihuahua/ jack russell mix who is 2 months old and she has been wonderful on potty training. just be consistant, keep her warm and give lots of love :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:47 AM on Dec. 9, 2012

• When you do take your Chihuahua on a walk, just remember to pick up the poop! We have a neighbor that has a Chihuahua, and NEVER picks it up because she thinks that just because the poop is small, she doesn't have to. Well, my kids step in it all the time and bring it in the house. It's POOP. Big or small, it still stinks!! ..Thanks for letting me rant! lol
    RubyBlue82

Answer by RubyBlue82 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 17, 2012