What else can I do? (Pet question)

I have a female golden she is 10 yrs old and she's mostly outside but now that she is older we bring her in at night and let her be outside during the day.

Well me not being used to not having a dog indoors all the time I would love to have her stay indoors but I can not stand the smell of her when she comes back from outside I try to let her go out just to go potty but even then she smells when she comes back in.

So to keep her from stinking up the whole house I have her leash tied to one leg of the kitchen table and there she stays with some old sheets, she doesn't mind being there but I can tell she wants to be with us when she sees us all in the living room. I want her to sit with me but I do not like the dog smell no matter how much I try.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2012 in Pets

• Why does she smell? What does she smell like? That is so mean to tie her up like that!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:21 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• Bathe her? It seems so cruel to me to have her tied to a table while the rest of the family is about.

If she smells really bad, take her to the vet for a check up to find out why. Have you tried oatmeal shampoo with a diluted vinegar rinse?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:22 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• Is she too big for you to bathe? If she's getting to the point that she's inside more than out, you will need to keep her groomed. Take her at least once a month for a bath. If she's inside and only potties outside, she shouldn't smell that bad. It's not good for her to be on a leash too much. At that age, she might even have some arthritis. She needs to be adjusted to being an inside dog now.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:24 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• Baths & the spray on shampoo would work. I agree with the others that it's not an ideal situation for your dog. They are pack animals & need to be with people or other dogs. And goldens are about the sweetest, most loving dogs there are, so it's sad that this poor dog doesn't get the social interaction it deserves. Please do what you can to make her "golden" years more comfortable & loving.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:25 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• How often is her area outside cleaned of urine and turds? Is that her smell
    flowersmama

Answer by flowersmama at 10:40 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• Even when I bathe her after a few days go by she smells like a dirty dog . She loves to roll about in the dirt & grass. If I could have her stay indoors at all times I would but she needs to go potty.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:41 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• So take her out on a leash and don't let her roll around.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:50 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• Goldens are smart, so when someone is home, you can have her in with you & let her out when she needs to go. It won't take her long to learn to go to the door to let you know.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:50 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• What else can I do to help her keep from being stinky? Or how often should I bathe her?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:55 PM on Dec. 8, 2012

• I have a long haired dog, not too different from a golden and I bathe her once a month unless gets into something. If you let her roll in the grass chances are she's either found something dead or some poo to roll on. They seek it out. I let my pup have a massive run when I know I can bathe her if she comes back stinking or on days I am planning to bathe her. Otherwise, she's on a leash. Which she loves as well. I find that a nice oatmeal shampoo and conditioner keeps her smelling just great. I also have a natural grapefruit doggie perfume that I can spritz her with,
    ( she really prefers dead mouse, though!) It's worth a little effort to let your dog be part of the family. You won't regret it.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:35 PM on Dec. 8, 2012