Baby Shoes

When do you start putting shoes on a baby? I've heard once they start walking to put them on. I've also heard it's better for their feet to walk barefoot. Do you know which is true?? And where can you get fitted shoes for your little one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 AM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Striderite is expensive but really good shoes. My daughter wore shoes when we were out and typically went barefoot at home.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:54 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I started putting shoes on my baby when he was big enough to fit in the smallest size. Pretty much every time we leave the house he has shoes on. The keep my babies socks on and looks super cute! I think you should put shoes on him when you want to. Most baby shoe's have ages like 0 - 3 months etc., or you can go to just about any shoe store to get sized.
    Borikaos

Answer by Borikaos at 3:56 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I've heard (I THINK on The Dr's) that its actually better for ALL of us to go barefoot. We just don't in public for sanitary reasons. So I would say at home go barefoot and when they're walking out, wear shoes!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:57 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• We put shoes on them from birth. More for looks and to help keep their feet warm than anything....and so they'd be used to shoes so when they HAD to wear them, it wouldn't be a battle.

As for NEEDING shoes...until they are going to be walking outside or in public areas..they don't need them, barefoot is best. And when they do first start waking out and about, it's better to stick to soft soled shoes.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:34 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Soft soled shoes all the way. At home just socks or barefoot, but Isabooties are my favorite because they are eco-friendly and not made out of animals.

You can probably hit a thrift store or kids consignment store and find some soft soled shoes.

Soft soled shoes allow babies to form natural arches ... not so much with hard shoes.

I think striderites are hard soled aren't they? they're good for kids, like 4 years and up, but not for babes.

I actually cringe when i see babies in hard tennis shoes and stuff.

my 2 yo still wears soft soles btw :)
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 5:44 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• You don't need shoes unless they will be walking where they can step on something such as sharp items, or bees. Robeez are awesome shoes. I love them.

ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:52 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I wanted to reiterate that yes, Robeez are awesome soft-soled shoes, but Isabooties are a wonderful alternative that will not cost you anything more, and you can effortlessly contribute to animal welfare :)
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 10:12 AM on Feb. 12, 2009