Acting different...

My DS is a little over 2 1/2, and has recently had HUGE behavoir changes. We did just recently have a baby girl so I'm not sure what the reason is (not that it totally matters too much) but lately he's been throwing toys more, being more aggressive towards other kids (not hitting, but just shoving if he want a toys, and putting mulch on their hair just to see what they will do) He's also been testing us alot more. It seems like all day every day, we are just addressing his behavoir. We are both consistent (my DH and I) however it doesn't seem to be making a difference. He does listen to us when we tell him to stop or no or with a time-out, but I don't understand where this behavoir is coming from and hoping there is nothing else "wrong" here, rather than just age or adjustment to sibling. I will say my DS was basically an angel until now, very few tantrums, and always listeined VERY well, therefore is very new to us.

Sarahbeth7

Asked by Sarahbeth7 at 10:08 AM on Dec. 9, 2012 in General Parenting

• IMO of course it's the baby! typical attention seeking stuff....
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:09 AM on Dec. 9, 2012

• give him "jobs", chores, big boy activities, responsibilities and enforce 3-5 basic house rules that must NEVER be broken. keep them clear/simple like hands are not for hitting, toys are not for throwing, etc

consider a special baby related related task like get him an age appropriate kid safe camera and ask him to take some pictures of the baby for you. pay 1 kiss and 1 mini m and m for every picture.

my son was 19mos when his sister was born. we immediately enrolled him in a tumbling/creative dance class so he'd have a special big boy no stinky baby allowed activity. it helped
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:12 AM on Dec. 9, 2012

• Ok, so as long as "ride it out" and stay consistent, it should get better? I'm just blown away. He hasn't been listeining at church nursery and our MOPS either. Very different for him. All the workers there say all the children struggle where he is struggling so there isn't a "cause for worry" but I'm just sad and surprised for him! He acts this way even when the baby isn't around.
    Sarahbeth7

Comment by Sarahbeth7 (original poster) at 10:13 AM on Dec. 9, 2012

• Okay, yeah, 1 day a week we have a Mommy/ son day and my parents watch the baby.
    Sarahbeth7

Comment by Sarahbeth7 (original poster) at 10:14 AM on Dec. 9, 2012

• It's the baby. Totally normal.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 10:18 AM on Dec. 9, 2012

• if your baby a good sleeper? is your big guy getting enough sleep and naps if applicable?

2 1/2 of course cannot read but understands a LOT. next time you're with him at target/walmart have him pick out a poster board color he likes and make a big deal of him giving it to the cashier, maybe handing her the dollar or two for it, and helping carry it. enforce act like a good boy/big boy and we treat you like a big boy. write the 3-5 basic house (or FAMILY so it carries to MOPS and church)

It's hard to say if it's the tail end of terrible twos or baby related behavior!

We re-did our house rules a few times when my son (now 8) was very little and he was super involved. he chose the poster board, the marker color i used, and where to hang the rules. I chose basic rules (indoor feet, indoor voice, kind hands and kind words) and we chose the last one together in a silly way. I think it was no tickling dinosaurs after naps
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:20 AM on Dec. 9, 2012

• Great idea! I had bee thinking of doing that so this confirms it ;)
    Sarahbeth7

Comment by Sarahbeth7 (original poster) at 10:24 AM on Dec. 9, 2012

• well, he is 2 and has a new sibling...
    mine were way worse at 3 than 2, so not sure what to tell you- it's normal for them at this age to be...testy and whatnot.

Make sure you are spending time with him alone when you can, and reinforce the ideas that you don't throw toys or hit and such. My guess is it's terrible 2's/3's hitting AND the baby coming into the picture

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:58 AM on Dec. 9, 2012

• They don't call them the Terrible Two's for nothing.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:13 PM on Dec. 9, 2012