What constitutes a dead beat dad?

madmueller

Asked by madmueller at 10:33 AM on Dec. 9, 2012 in General Parenting

• No money support
    not seeing the child or popping in and out like that just OK with the emotions of a child
    Being mean, rude, yelling or hitting a child without regard to there well being as a human
    mama2gg

Answer by mama2gg at 10:56 AM on Dec. 9, 2012

• Not being around for anything to do with your kid. Continuing life as though you never had a child and the life of the child you made is not your responsibility.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:40 AM on Dec. 9, 2012

• To me, deadbeat means uninvolved. No financial involvement, not visiting, not being involved. My ex owes $25K, and wouldn't recognize my kids if they passed him on the street without me there - he's the very definition of deadbeat, in my book. Even if he doesn't do a great job at it, if a man is at least attempting to be involved, he's not a deadbeat. He might still be considered a lousy father, but not a deadbeat.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:51 AM on Dec. 9, 2012

• IMO....

missing the gross/hard stuff like the first 72 hours of a babies life with the nasty poop and no sleep

missing the GREAT stuff like training wheels off bike, school play, dance recital

and missing the financial aspect. if you're not with the mom check the diaper stash at drop off. formula, bottles, health insurance, etc. it's a combination of money, good times, and bad times. miss those and you're a deadbeat
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:37 AM on Dec. 9, 2012

• someone that is just not involved in the child's life. Does not make any effort at all to be involved.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:49 AM on Dec. 9, 2012

• Not in the childs/childrens lives. Not financially helping support the kid/s

Answer by louise2 at 10:51 AM on Dec. 9, 2012

• One that does not support his child.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:23 AM on Dec. 9, 2012

• Not being involved in the child(ren)s life, especially if there is no issue with the Mother but when there is an issue with the Mother, I can partially  understand why some men stay away from their children.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:05 PM on Dec. 9, 2012