Santa

daughter 1st grader, 6 1/2 yrs)

seems to know something is up. she's asking sooooooo many questions.

I am curious, if I wait til the day after Christmas is it cool to sit down and explain the magic but the truth to her? She is so aggressively pursuing this that my husband wants to do it now. But I think we can suck a few more weeks of believing out of her. WWYD?

my husband and I both were raised knowing our folks were the gift givers, santa was a hallmark character, so we have zero experience in what to do we're basically to the point of having to flat out LIE TO HER FACE several times a day right now. It's awkward, it seems like she'd rather know truth than be lied to. But I might be wrong.

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 11:03 AM on Dec. 9, 2012 in Holidays

• Chances are that someone at school has already let the cat outta the bag... .that's what usually happens. She's probably asking to see how you will respond. You could tell her that if she doesn't believe, she gets clothes for Christmas... LOL! Yeah, I would wait and give her just this one more year.... why not?!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:09 AM on Dec. 9, 2012

• Truely it does not matter but if you wouldlike to prolong it get a neighbor or failymember to help you. Get some good jingle bells )the kind on the leather strap.. If you have a bike or wagon you can have tha person sneak up to the door at a certain time and place the the "bike" outside the door. He gets to a point where he can slip out of sight but still see the porch (just in case, and rings those bells and does the deep voiced Ho Ho Ho. Of course your will go to the door (all of you) and investigate. Be sure you have a camera
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:10 AM on Dec. 9, 2012

• seems kinds early to me, I think I'd stick it out this year and see what happens... unless she actually says she doesn't believe -in which case I'd ask why and go from there. She may let it go when that magic hits on Christmas Eve/ Day. When I found out, I was 9 and ON Christmas after opening my stuff, I just asked if Santa was really real, and all my mom said was "what do you think?" and left it at that

My kids were around 11 when they asked if he was real and whatnot and I told them yes-but it's different than they thought before- that the spirit is in us all and when we give, show kindness or help someone we are basically being Santa. We still do Santa gifts too, because it's fun ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:12 AM on Dec. 9, 2012

• I didn't, and won't with my younger child, ever sit them down and explain things without a direct question being asked. My oldest found out on his own when he saw my dad, not Santa, digging into the milk and cookies. My 8 year old still believes. I'm pretty sure this is our last year with Santa being real, and I'm going to enjoy it. I grew up never believing and I feel cheated out of that aspect of childhood. I want my kids to enjoy it as long as they can.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:16 AM on Dec. 9, 2012

• I would definitely try to enjoy 1 more year w/ the magic. She's a bit young. Maybe go to the library & get the "Night Before Christmas", or rent the 1st Santa Claus Movie w/ Tim Allen, just to renew her faith a little. :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:28 AM on Dec. 9, 2012

• My_Guys_Rule

Answer by My_Guys_Rule at 11:55 AM on Dec. 9, 2012

• ^^^^^^ I saw this on Pinterest this morning, and while we never did Santa in our house, I thought this Mom did a good explanation of what Santa was, in their house anyway. Just an idea. Hope it helps.
    My_Guys_Rule

Answer by My_Guys_Rule at 11:57 AM on Dec. 9, 2012