When did your child start reading to themselves, and not out loud?

My son is 4 and is always reading out loud. I've been trying to get him to read to himself, but he just tells me then he can't hear. =) If it's something he should be doing by kindergarten I'll work on it more with him, but if not, I'll let it be for now. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Dec. 9, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My DD just started doing it at 6 yrs old, she's in Kindergarten.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:49 AM on Dec. 9, 2012

• i just let it go. my oldest used to read to her stuffed animals all the time. i don't remember when she reading out loud. but my middle just turned 8 and has been reading to herself when she started kindergarten. and my youngest is 6 and she just started reading quietly. (unless it was a funny part then the whole house knows about it)
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 11:53 AM on Dec. 9, 2012

• Both of mine were around 6 or so when they began reading to themselves. I wouldn't worry about him reading to himself quite yet, he's still pretty young. As long as he is reading, let him do it out loud, there's nothing wrong with it :)
    My_Guys_Rule

Answer by My_Guys_Rule at 11:54 AM on Dec. 9, 2012

• My 9yo 4th grader still reads out loud sometimes. It's nothing to worry about, not a milestone or anything. My 7yo prefers reading out loud too so we can help if we hear her struggling.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 12:00 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• My 8 year old still reads outloud to himself.

No, it's not a skill required by kindergarten.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• My DS is 7 and still reads out loud at times. Don't worry about it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:34 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• My 1st grader does it sometimes and my 4 yo reads out loud.

I do worry about my 1st grader doing this b/c she is isn't the best reader yet. She will mispronounce words and think they are right.

My 4 yo is an amazing reader and can fly through books. Every kid is different.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:05 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• Kindergarten if not before.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:28 PM on Dec. 10, 2012