OMG. do not get this card. It is terrible. Not a question. LOL

I got one of those Bluebird Prepaid cards by american express from walmart because it sounded really good. No fees to load, etc.
But it is not. It is terrible. On two occassions i have been put in a bind with this card and waited on hold for 30 plus minutes to be told they cannot help me.
The first time i used it for gas and got $21.35 worth of gas and they had a hold on $100.oo until they said the merchant would process the transaction which could take 3-7 business days. I think it ended up taking about 4 days before i got my $100 released.
Then yesterday i took back a purchase to GNC that i made because i did not like the product. They credited back my card and gave me the receipt. I checked by balance and the money is not there. Customer serice said it can take 2-8 days for me to get the credit back to my card.
This never happened with my walmart prepaid card or my bank debit card. I always say credit back immediately and when getting gas , once i was done pumping, it took the correct amount and immediately released and hold it had.
Now i am stuck without another $80.oo until they give me my credit back.
I will so be closing this card when i get the credit. It is not a good card at all.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2012 in Money & Work

• This sounds pretty typical for credit cards, which is how they're viewing it. I have never had this issue with my bank's debit card, but its in the fine print at most places that this may occur if the payment is processed as a debit transaction vs a credit transaction.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:45 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• Its walmart! I am dealing with the very same thing but with my bank card. I bought a $28 online and when I went to go pick it up (got the message the item was ready) they said it was no longer avaliable and the money was returned to my card. They only refunded $11!!! I am on the phone off and on today trying to get my money they said I may need to wait till the 21st! mother f******!
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:46 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• I've heard of the $100 'hold' when putting gas, it happened with our bank debit card once because we cancelled the transaction and didn't actually put gas (didn't give me my Safeway discounts like it should've cause their database was down). It only took like 2 days tops to release that $100 hold though!
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 1:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• It almost makes me want to go back to just using cash. LOL atleast if i had paid with cash, that is what i would have gotten back. Guess just have to think of it as a valuable lesson learned.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• This is very common with most credit.debit cards. It's not related to any specific brand or bank, that's just how most financial institutions work.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:01 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• LOL?
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 2:03 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• ya, my and my husband were traveling from WY to WI and got one of those cards and put all of our money on it and went on our lovely way not knowing about the 100 dollar hold and put gas in at 3 diff gas stations and BAM denied ... stuck in southdakota NOT COOL we had our 3 kids w us, one was only 4 months old and he had called them and it was a mess they couldn't do anything about it so we had to call and ask family for money to make it there- kinda embarressing and we didnt' get the hold off till a few days later i WILL NEVER DO IT AGAIN
    tonipaffel

Answer by tonipaffel at 5:12 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• Wow. I thought those cards were a G-d send, no fees, etc. Thanks for letting me know these kinks and helping me to make a more informed decision about getting one.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 5:20 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• tonipaffel, that is terrible.So much for American Express award winning customer service. I was excited when i first got it but guess it realy was too good to be true.
    Even though there are no fees to load, etc., not having access to my own money due to holds isnt worth it.
    The $3.00 fee to load my walmart card isnt looking to bad right now.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:46 PM on Dec. 9, 2012