I hope somebody can help!

My 2 year old son will some times refuse all sorts of food for no reason. He usually always eats his breakfast but when it comes to lunch he wont eat anything I try to give him he might take a couple of bites and then shove the rest away or throw it. hell snack lightly during the day ( not much) adn usually eats his dinner but has a few nights in a row where he will refuse it after like 3-4 mouth fulls. When he goes to day care he eats the fruit he is given the lunch and anything else they give him. Does anyone know why he may be doing this? He never has been a big eater.

Mumma07

Asked by Mumma07 at 4:41 AM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter did this and now my grandson does. It used to upset me very much....even though the doc assured me that she wouldn't let herself starve. She was anemic as a result of her picky eating and had to take iron. She's 22 now...so obviously she didn't starve. When she was about 12 we went through the McDonald's drive through and she asked for 2 Big Macs...we were flabbergasted, but shortly recovered from the shock and bought them...and she ate them. She loves a variety of foods now. Her 22 month son takes after her...some days he'll only eat peas. Throws his food, refuses it, and spits it out.....feeds a lot to the dog. I tell my daughter he'll eat when he's 12.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 4:53 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• funny thing about toddlers, they won't let themselves go hungery for too long. make sure to have all types of foods to offer and change it up by cutting funny shapes or lots of bright finger foods. it will pass i promise, but it may take some time!! my oldes child ate a tuna sandwich everyday in the first grade, now she hates them. good luck!!
    lovebugs_08

Answer by lovebugs_08 at 4:55 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• P.S. He may be eating at day care because the other kids are. To fit in... Because it looks fun...etc.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 4:55 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• My son's pediatrician said that toddlers normally eat one BIG meal a day and then smaller ones. IF he is eating breakfast, that may be his big meal. The other thing his pediatrician said is that toddlers will not let themselves "starve." They will eat when they are hungry. He also recommended that we not make a "battle" out of eating...
    TiffaniR

Answer by TiffaniR at 11:30 AM on Feb. 12, 2009