My newborns head is too small and she never cries?

Head was in the 14 th percentile. Height and weight were 48 th and 78 th

I am worried about the head size?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 3:13 PM on Dec. 9, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What did the doctor said about it.

Answer by louise2 at 3:16 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• Nothing. Did not mention it. I just feel scared about it.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 3:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• Ok,a few questions
    Has she fallen down on the chart for her natural growth rate?
    How is the rest of her growth?
    Does she turn towards sounds?
    Does she track you with her eyes?
    Does she startle at loud sounds?

Do you mean she LITERALLY never cries,or doesn't cry to be fed/when wet/uncomfortable?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:21 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• Don't worry about the head size by itself. Some kids have statistically small heads, and it's the growth arc that matters, not the size at any specific time.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:39 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• She literally has yet to cry and was born Nov 24th- they had the NICU come out because she didn't cry when she was born- they had to agitate her. She makes grunting noises but doesn't cry. I take good care of her- I am almost tempted to not give her boob at the rooting signs to see if her grunts turn into cries.

She's only had one dr appt so there's no way to monitor natural growth yet. I know if they continue with the growth curve with the head size that's all that matters- and there's more room for worrying when the head is in the 5th or below percentile.

she turns toward sounds and watches me and startles and has fine diapers.

Just a tiny little head!
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 4:05 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• I guess if you're concerned about the cry, just hold out on the feedings and see if she gets worked up.... The head issue, I'd talk to the Dr. about, I have no idea.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:07 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• ok. never fails. cafemom questions fix everything. I didn't pick her up when she showed signs of hunger and she totally started crying.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 4:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• I'd be more worried about the not crying thing
    What was her head circumference at birth? Has it changed at all in the last 2 weeks?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:25 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• She's probably gonna be a skinny minny like her mama. Did your parents or your husb's parents keep track of your head sizes? I would write down all your concerns for the next appt. & it's a good thing she cried. She probably didn't feel the need to since her needs were being met. You've done too good of a job anticipating her needs! lol :p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• They did not give me the head circumference at birth. Only at the newborn appointment did I see that it was in the 15th percentile and that was on the report sheet the doctor gave me, he didn't discuss the head size with me like he did height and weight. I will schedule another appointment for this week.

Yes- I am a crazy good need anticipater. lol
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 4:57 PM on Dec. 9, 2012