My newborns head is too small and she never cries?

Head was in the 14 th percentile. Height and weight were 48 th and 78 th

I am worried about the head size?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 3:13 PM on Dec. 9, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My SO has a VERY large head- mine is good sized too. DD seems to have a big head as well.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 4:58 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• Does your hospital give you one of those commemorative birth certificates? Mine did, and on my sons', it gives me the length, weight, and head circumference at birth. If you got one, (or even if you didn't!), go through all the paperwork you brought home from the hospital. I'm sure somewhere in there you should be able to find what size it was at birth.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:24 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• If the baby is eating healthy, pooping and peeing regularly I would not worry...
    My babies never cried, and my dad thought that maybe they were "not normal" but it was because every time I heard a little peep come out of them I was picking them up!
    Wait a month, watch the baby's progress, OR find another Dr. If this is your first, you will always find every little thing wrong, it's not YOU, it's just being a mom...Try not to worry...
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 5:58 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• I have seen a couple of kids with microcephaly (small head). Does she have a soft spot? Kids with microcephaly don't usually have a soft spot b/c the cranial sutures have already sealed. I would be concerned as well.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:32 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• Yes she has a soft spot- I read a bit about microcephaly- I'll read more. I remember it saying it's for 5th percentile and lower. But still- if everything else is normal the head should have been normal range too!
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 6:52 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• My kids all had small heads. I worried about it. I kept measuring their heads hoping they would grow. My oldest DD head did have a growth spurt when she was 2months old. It was the freakest  thing because honestly her head was suddenly really big compared to the rest of her. Thankfully it all evened out.  She rarely cried either.  She's 13 now and perfectly heathy.  

Just make sure she is eating normally and can track objects with her eyes.  

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:50 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• Yes- the googling is TERRIFYING me. I need to stop!!
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 12:30 AM on Dec. 10, 2012

• I had the opposite problem when my youngest was born. He has an assymetrical head. HIs regular doctor didn't worry about it b/c he knows his dad has one to (my oldest is my dh's mini-me), but we took him to a different doc once because our regular doc was sick and he immediately ordered a c-t scan. Let me tell you, that was not fun. Turned out fine, but the doc's have all said to keep an eye on it though.
    As far as your dd, I would try not to worry to much. As long as she is reacting normally (and so far, from what you have said, she seems to be), she is more then likely fine. If it's stil bugging you by the next appt. ask the doc.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 2:38 AM on Dec. 10, 2012

• I'll trade ya the no crying thing. Mine likes to scream in the middle of the night :/
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:49 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• I will definitely ask the doctor- and i will STOP googling it

Sorry hope!! My angel took two weeks to cry and she's just a great little cuddlebug now- quiet and calm like me =P

Baby is doing well, eating good and pooping a lot (lol) she's reactive to noise and follows my head and voice with her eyes. So those are all great signs.

Just that tiny head of hers.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 11:18 PM on Dec. 10, 2012