His dad will not let me home school. But he isn't learning in school

We are not together but his dad does not want me to home school. I have done research and there is nothing that I know of to do. But he isn't learning to read ect that a 1st grader should know. If he acts up they right away bring him to a room that doesn't really teach anything. I was wanting to know if their is anything I can do to tutor or some one else going through this that knows of resources I can use to teach him at home when he comes home from school? I don't want him to not know things because his dad does not want me to home school and the school will not teach him. Is there a program I can do with him at home on top of what they are teaching at school? Thank you in advanced for all your help

iluvmymomasboys

Asked by iluvmymomasboys at 3:28 PM on Dec. 9, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I ran into this issue when I announced I wanted to home school our 11 yr old. My ex and I are divorced but he is very involved in Noah's life. So, we made a deal. I could home school until high school then he goes back into the public school system. See if you two can strike a compromise. Either way, there is a home school group here on CM that knows a lot and can help out.
    Tesserae

Answer by Tesserae at 3:31 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• I would use time4learning.com .  They offer different programs that should meet your needs, including one that is meant to supplement school work.  It isn't free but it is a good option if you're unable to homeschool.

Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:32 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• Based solely on the spelling and grammar above, I would tend to agree with the ex.
    The issue with your child seems to be behavioural, that is what needs to be addressed.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:01 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• I would be after the school as to why he's not meeting the necessary criteria for his age level & grade. If they are unwilling to work w/ you, then look into a voucher to send him to another school. Or if you ex is so opposed to homeschooling, then maybe he'd be willing to pay for a private school & or some tutoring. Once the academic challenge is addressed, then you need to address the behavior issues. If he is a constant disruption, you need to figure out what's causing that. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:06 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• Check in to other schools in the area. Just because he is assigned to one doesn't mean he has to stay there.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:08 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• have you tried another school?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:38 AM on Dec. 10, 2012