Do your kids have a typing program at home?

I am looking for something that will work for a 7 and 10 year old. They work on computers at school but don't do any basic typing so it takes them a long time to get things done. I think the Mavis Beacon programs might be too much for my 7 year old.

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 3:30 PM on Dec. 9, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My kids have used this before http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/typing/

Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:33 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• nope
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 3:34 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• Cool. Thanks.
    QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 3:35 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• There are a few, but I don't want to buy one that is too hard or difficult to follow their directions. It's funny, I think about how I had basic typing classes before using a computer at all. Now kids have computers before they know how to use a fork and knife. The schools don't teach them typing first so they take a long time to complete their computer work. I just remember wishing my teachers would let me type my reports because it was so much faster and easier than writing them out.
    QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• typingweb.com - my girls use it at school and they've also been practicing with it at home. I've tried it myself and it's a good site, IMO. Very similar to the program I was taught with in grade school.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 4:20 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• The nice thing about typingweb - you can either make an account or not - the advantage of making an account is it keeps track of your progress, etc. DDs have accounts at school but use it at home without logging in.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 4:21 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• Thanks for the info. I will check it out.
    QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 4:39 PM on Dec. 9, 2012