I can't believe I'm asking this but...

DS has some sort of flu-like bug. Fever (not high), he vomited once, no appetite, loose stools, just laying around, pale, doing okay hydration-wise.

The dumb question is: Tylenol or no Tylenol? He's not complaining of any aches or anything, it'd just be for the elevated temp (I can't find a freaking working thermometer so I don't know how high it is, I just know it's up but not super high). I usually let a fever run it's course but my kids usually get the 12-24 puke bug with no fever so I'm a little out of my element.

And I live in one of those tiny towns where the nearest urgent care/ER is over 20 miles away, we've had snow/ice, DH is gone, there is no after-hours doctor line, the nurses at the hospital just say "if you're worried come to the ER", and of course we're lacking insurance at the moment. (I think I covered all possibilities of what people could say.)

idareyou

Asked by idareyou at 4:16 PM on Dec. 9, 2012 in Kids' Health

• Only at bedtime, imo. Fever is a good thing, as long as it's not dangerously high (which you would know probably) Fever is a sign his immune system is doing it's job so I'd let it go on. Tylenol at bedtime so he can rest better.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:50 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• I don't treat low-grade temps unless they're feeling achey. I wouldn't give anything until bedtime when it could help him rest more.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:21 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• I would do Tylenol to keep fever down or from getting higher.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• If you feel that it is getting too high, you can try a cool cloth on his forehead, groin, and under his arms to lower his temperature. AS teh others said, make sure to keep him hydrated.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:45 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• How old is the kid?

If he can't sleep or you think he needs more sleep than he's getting I would probably do a dose of tylenol at bedtime- just to help him rest better.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:00 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• He's almost 6. But go figure, I assumed I had Tylenol in the house before I asked, and can't find any now. So I guess it's no meds - I don't have any ibuprofen either.
    idareyou

Comment by idareyou (original poster) at 5:10 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• He should be fine if you can't find the tylenol. Just keep him quiet and hydrated and make your way out tomorrow if the fever hasn't broken by then.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 5:49 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• I would give him something right before bed to so he can sleep. That's all.

Answer by louise2 at 7:39 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• I would just keep him hydrated and comfy. You can give him a luke-warm bath or use warm washclothes on his forehead or the back of his neck to help keep the fever down.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:22 PM on Dec. 9, 2012