S/O on leaving a toddler/child in a tub

I posted this in the question but.......
It only takes a few seconds, they say, turning away for just a moment.
So the CPSC
is recommending that parents and caregivers follow these safety tips when
children are around bathtubs, spas, buckets, or decorative ponds or
fountains:

Never leave young children alone near any water. Young children can drown in even small amounts of water.
Always keep a young child within arm’s reach in a bathtub.
Never leave to answer the phone, answer the door, get a towel or for
any other reason. If you must leave, take the child with you.
Don’t leave a baby or toddler in a bathtub under the care of another young child.
Never leave a bucket containing even a small amount of liquid
unattended. Toddlers can fall headfirst into buckets and drown. After
using a bucket, always empty and store it where young children cannot
reach it. Buckets left outside can collect rainwater and are a hazard.
Prevent children from gaining access to spas or hot tubs when not in use; always secure with safety covers and barriers.
Learn CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation). It can be a lifesaver when seconds count.

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 5:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Staci, if you want to collect rainwater in a bucket, could you fasten a screen on top so that it wouldn't be open and waiting for someone to fall in?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:16 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• in other words have some common sense NOTHING is more important than your child's safety
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:55 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• It seems like it really should be common sense. It's amazing how people take risks with their kids.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:57 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• Excellent advice.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 5:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• Common sense advice, I know of a lady that use to give her toddle about 4 or 5 baths a day, she used the tub as a sitter, and the 2 year old ended up drowning in the tub and dying!!!

Answer by older at 7:01 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• I have a bucket in the backyard collecting rainwater. :(
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:05 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• ^^Amen! And they say kids don't come w/ instruction manuals! :p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:07 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• People leave their kids in the tub all the time although they shouldn't. I don't think I ever did. I also have never left them unattended in the car, not to run in and grab a soda at the convenient store...and people do that all the time too. I believe it is two inches of water or something like that, that can kill a child.
    Anonymous

• Staci, put your rainbucket up high where the little one can't get to it. We used to collect rainwater in a barrel on the roof....
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:17 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• one would think. Even an adult can drown in a small amount of water, though it takes a little longer. I will never forget being called on aboyscout rescue. A 15 year old was missing and the adult boys scouts were asked to help since we knew the area pretty wel. The boy was found drowned in about 6 inches of water. I could barely let my campers out of my sight for a good long time He was missing less than 6 hours. It was determined that he hit his head just hard enough to stun him for a couple of minutes and he fell with his face in the puddle..
    Dardenella

Comment by Dardenella (original poster) at 6:15 PM on Dec. 9, 2012