S/O on leaving a toddler/child in a tub

I posted this in the question but.......
It only takes a few seconds, they say, turning away for just a moment.
So the CPSC
is recommending that parents and caregivers follow these safety tips when
children are around bathtubs, spas, buckets, or decorative ponds or

Never leave young children alone near any water. Young children can drown in even small amounts of water.
Always keep a young child within arm’s reach in a bathtub.
Never leave to answer the phone, answer the door, get a towel or for
any other reason. If you must leave, take the child with you.
Don’t leave a baby or toddler in a bathtub under the care of another young child.
Never leave a bucket containing even a small amount of liquid
unattended. Toddlers can fall headfirst into buckets and drown. After
using a bucket, always empty and store it where young children cannot
reach it. Buckets left outside can collect rainwater and are a hazard.
Prevent children from gaining access to spas or hot tubs when not in use; always secure with safety covers and barriers.
Learn CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation). It can be a lifesaver when seconds count.

Asked by Dardenella at 5:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Staci, if you want to collect rainwater in a bucket, could you fasten a screen on top so that it wouldn't be open and waiting for someone to fall in?

Answer by Ballad at 9:16 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• in other words have some common sense NOTHING is more important than your child's safety

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:55 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• It seems like it really should be common sense. It's amazing how people take risks with their kids.

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:57 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• Excellent advice.

Answer by tessiedawg at 5:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• Common sense advice, I know of a lady that use to give her toddle about 4 or 5 baths a day, she used the tub as a sitter, and the 2 year old ended up drowning in the tub and dying!!!

Answer by older at 7:01 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• I have a bucket in the backyard collecting rainwater. :(

Answer by staciandababy at 8:05 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• ^^Amen! And they say kids don't come w/ instruction manuals! :p

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:07 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• People leave their kids in the tub all the time although they shouldn't. I don't think I ever did. I also have never left them unattended in the car, not to run in and grab a soda at the convenient store...and people do that all the time too. I believe it is two inches of water or something like that, that can kill a child.

• Staci, put your rainbucket up high where the little one can't get to it. We used to collect rainwater in a barrel on the roof....

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:17 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• one would think. Even an adult can drown in a small amount of water, though it takes a little longer. I will never forget being called on aboyscout rescue. A 15 year old was missing and the adult boys scouts were asked to help since we knew the area pretty wel. The boy was found drowned in about 6 inches of water. I could barely let my campers out of my sight for a good long time He was missing less than 6 hours. It was determined that he hit his head just hard enough to stun him for a couple of minutes and he fell with his face in the puddle..

Comment by Dardenella (original poster) at 6:15 PM on Dec. 9, 2012