Who are we?

BIL just got married to a woman that has a daughter by someone else. We are sending gifts and I filled out all of the gift tags for the nieces and nephews as being from 'aunt and uncle'. What are we to this new step daughter? Are we still aunt and uncle or are we Dick and Jane?

Asked by QuinnMae at 8:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2012 in Relationships

• I would write aunt and uncle since that is what you are doing for everyone else.

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• I'd say aunt and uncle. Technically step aunt and step uncle, but I don't think the distinction is necessary. Family, just not by blood.

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• I guess it depends on how family oriented you are. When my brother got married, she already had kids. My parents just jumped in there and picked them up as grandchildren..... (that's when I stopped the whole Christmas thing because it just got too expensive). I never really considered them nieces and nephews, but that's just me.

Answer by m-avi at 8:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• I'd put Aunt and Uncle. That's just me, lol

Answer by PMSMom10 at 9:13 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• How do they refer to you?
    I'd stick with just your names since it's so new

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:45 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• I agree. If everything is okay between yu guys and your brother-in-law, just say from "aunt and uncle" with good intentions, and probably nobody will think twice about it. If the girl tells her dad she's uncomfortable after she gets the gift, use only your names next time.

Answer by Ballad at 8:46 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• I would refer to yourselves as aunt and uncle - you want to keep the family happy and may as well start a nice tradition as a welcome to the family

Answer by madmueller at 10:22 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• Put Aunt and Uncle - you don't want her to feel left out or different, you want her to feel like she's apart of the family...

Answer by SassySue123 at 10:46 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• Aunt and Uncle.

Answer by booklover545 at 12:51 PM on Dec. 10, 2012

• I am not really tight with his family. We don't live close and miss a lot of their important stuff (due only to proximity, not drama or hard feelings). I get along with them just fine and he is somewhat close with his siblings. I think I will just put aunt and uncle since that's sort of what I would think she is.

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 8:50 PM on Dec. 9, 2012