Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Do i need a lawyer??

For the past 10 years I have let my mom and dad raise my son, he is 11. I have always been really close to my parents and my son over the phone and visits - the last couple years my mom has turned into a fullblown alchoholic drug addict and my father had gotten diagnosed with lung cancer, so things have just gone from good to bad.... my son is also autistic and blind .... but anyway my mom has gotten 2 DUIs in the last year and ive had to call the police on her 2xs for commiting suicide .... im cutting through half the other stuff to get to the end of this but she drove to my house drunk w my son and he was hysterical saying he couldn't handle grammas drinking anymore, then my mom had taken off for a week like she usually does and i went to his school and took him, i have custudy, well they put a petition in for a 60 day guardianship and it was granted due to his needs- that was before i talked to the guardianadlidem to explain why i did what i did- now theres another court date and i don't have the 1000 for a lawyer ... am i screwed? also i had let them know that in my mothers care my son had been sexually abused by one of her male friends while she was on a drunk binge .... i am not a drug addict i am not an alchoholic i am a good mother so she cant use anything against me besides hes a special needs child that theyve taken care of for so long

Answer Question

Asked by tonipaffel at 10:10 PM on Dec. 9, 2012 in General Parenting

Level 9 (342 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • IMO... I would hire an attorney... normally at 11 they allow the child to speak with the
    judge privately and the child can decide where to live or the judge can and most often
    will take what the child says under careful thought in their ruling.
    Now, with your child being a special needs child (as you say) the courts my not talk to him
    but use the attorney to do so, so yes get an attorney...
    Good Luck

    Answer by gmasboy at 10:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

  • If you can't afford an attorney, then call your state, and see if there's some legal aid available. GL, I hope this all works out for the best.

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:25 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

  • Better over prepared than under prepared.

    Answer by theMOMmission at 10:25 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

  • Yes, you need a lawyer. Family law is complex at best, and your situation has a lot of variables. You can never be too careful. Many lawyers take payments or have financing plans available through private companies. Your county Child Services office should have information on low-cost legal care available.

    Answer by Ballad at 10:28 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

  • Get legal aid through the state. In most cases the courts want to work with the families unless there are very compelling reasons to separate a child. If your background is fairly clean you shouldn't have a problem.

    Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:37 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

  • I applied for judicare and they paid for a consultation but this state said they do not handle this type of case :(

    Comment by tonipaffel (original poster) at 10:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

  • You get what you pay for. Get an attorney and ask if they can work out.a payment schedule for you. Good luck.

    Answer by QuinnMae at 11:18 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

  • Yes I believe that you will require an attourney. Do you have documented proof he was molested or is this just something you are guessing at.....

    If you have documentation take it with you. If you can document the amount of liquor she drinks and that she is carrying on with unsavory men, you should have a case.

    Answer by Dardenella at 1:18 AM on Dec. 10, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.