Do you let your kids open presents that aren't theirs?

And I don't mean yours or SOs.
I mean if they already open their gifts at family's house, and other children come later. Do you let them go over and rip the paper off the other kids gifts, as the kids are trying to open them? Or do you make sure they only do their own, and explain they can look at the gifts after the others open their own, like they did?

I know some people see it as kids being kids and wanting to "help", but I try to tell my DD that the gifts for others are for them to open, and once they have the joy and surprise of opening their gifts like she does, she can go over and see what they got. I think every kid should have their own moment of surprise and joy of ripping the paper off themselves. Thats the fun part!

What do you think? It is somewhat of a problem within my family. My family thinks its ok for my DD to come later, pick up a gift, and one of the other children come over and start ripping off the paper, before she even has a chance to have the moment herself. It just turns into her trying to rip the paper off faster than another child can, and she doesnt appreciate or enjoy the moment.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2012 in Holidays

• Uhhh NO.. I would not let me kid get away with this.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 10:57 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• I didn't mind if my kids helped other adults that were willing to let them help, but there is no way I'd let them help a child. That's just rude.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:01 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• I am glad I am not the only one who thinks this is just not ok.
    And its not just christmas, at her birthday party too. I think its rude. They just laugh and say, thats how kids are. I dont think its nice at all. I just dont know how to go about telling them I want them to wrangle their kids, and let my DD have her own moment.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:01 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• No never that is just rude of a parent to allow it
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 11:01 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• Very rude. Is she young enough to still sit on your lap so you can keep the other kids at bay and tell them no?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• That would never happen here but I have witnessed this before. Makes you wonder WTH the kids parents are thinking!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:04 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• She is 4 and the youngest by about a year. So they just run over and dominate. And I try to tell the other kids to back off, and let her do it herself, but its like pushing away rabid dogs. I spend the time I should be enjoying her face as she opens the presents, trying to keep the other kids at least an arms length away. And NO ONE seems to think there is anything wrong. And no one steps in and gets their kids away. I dont want to cause a mess at christmas, but I am about ready to say something this year.

What would you say to your family and IL to get them to understand you want your child to have their own moment?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:05 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• No, my kids only open their individual gifts.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:07 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• What would you say to your family and IL to get them to understand you want your child to have their own moment?

Exactly that.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:07 PM on Dec. 9, 2012

• She is 4? I would sit her on top of the table or the back of the couch and fight them off! lmao!! this drives me batty. I HATE going to birthday parties where the kids all turn into a big clump around the birthday child ripping off paper! With family I think it might be even worse.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:12 PM on Dec. 9, 2012