What can I do about low potassium?

I have two different auto-immune diseases, which means I have 2 different docs that I see regularly, but rarely close together. This last week I saw one on Mon and the other on Tues. I have been feeling extremely tired lately, and mentioned it to both of them. I had labs done, and I was told that I have low potassium, and to get my bloodwork done again in a couple of months. The nurse told me that I don't need to do anything right now, just to wait and get more bloodwork done. This does not sound right to me. It seems that I should be doing something, not just waiting and doing nothing! Can anyone advise me about this?

29again

Asked by 29again at 12:29 AM on Dec. 10, 2012 in Health

• Eat potatoes and bananas
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:33 AM on Dec. 10, 2012

• I eat potatoes ALL the time! Bananas, well, not so much. I did read that oranges and peaches are good for potassium, and I eat those fairly often. I'm just concerned b/c what I have read about it suggests that you can pass out from this, and I have been getting dizzy lately, along with the fatigue.
    29again

Comment by 29again (original poster) at 12:38 AM on Dec. 10, 2012

• avocados have more potassium than bananas. you can change your diet or take a supplement, though if the doctor advised to do nothing you can do that too... low iron can make you tired
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:38 AM on Dec. 10, 2012

• There are potassium supplements on the market, but you need to be careful that you don't take more than the package directs, even if you've been told you have low potassium. Too much in the system isn't good, either. When I was a swimmer in high school, we were told to eat four or five bananas a week because the potassium kept us from getting leg cramps. If you don't like bananas plain, you can put them in smoothies with other fruit like peaches, or bake them into muffins that will make some nice breakfasts. Sports drinks like Gator Ade might also help you, but make sure you check the ingredient labels. In the U.S., Gator Ade uses flame retardants to brighten some of its colors. When selling to Japan or the EU, Gator Ade removes the chemicals from the recipe. Look for "Brominated Vegetable Oil" on the label and avoid those drinks. I would press your doctor for more tests or answers if these remedies don't work. GL!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:20 AM on Dec. 10, 2012

• And pomagranets and bananas
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 1:28 AM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Thanks for the advice, everyone! I'm gonna go with eating more fruit for now, and see what that does. I really prefer diet changes to pills. I hate pills. I have the appt set up for the followup in Feb. And if I start feeling worse, I will call the doc. I am feeling almost as bad as when I got my thyroid diagnosis, when I was sleeping 12 hrs a day -- not good with kids! When they said don't do anything, it struck me as odd, b/c it seems like doctors always wants to give a pill for everything.

Btw, that is just sickening about Gator Ade!!
    29again

Comment by 29again (original poster) at 1:37 AM on Dec. 10, 2012

• When my potassium was low they made me immediately pick up a prescription they called in to the pharmacy at 9 o clock at night! Maybe yours wasnt very low. Eat more bananas!

Answer by missanc at 2:09 AM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Can you see a Naturopath instead of an MD?

My naturopath gives a wonderful Nutrient IV drip of vitamins and minerals specially based on what your body is lacking. Take in a copy of your bloodwork, and they'll work out the exact concoction that your body needs. And because it goes directly into your blood system, the effects are much quicker than taking a pill or supplement or even eating...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:45 AM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Drink lots of the original v-8 juice, and if your blood pressure tends to run high, drink the low-sodium variety. It is loaded with potassium!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:02 AM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Before you start loading up on everything potassium, I'd consult with my doctor about what I should eat and how much I should eat of it. My mother was told once her potassium was low, so she started eating bananas...and that just made her levels get too high...
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:41 AM on Dec. 10, 2012