Do you help your elementary kids to get ready for school?

I mean as far as hurridly dressing them, and getting their toothbrush ready just so u may help speed things up for yourself? Even though they are dragging butt in the mornings this does help me alot. My dh gets upset with me for not letting them do it themselves but I need to get them out and ready for school I do not want them to be tardy. But they do know how to do this sometimes our kids just need that mommy touch, double checking everything...I guess :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Feb. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i would make sure that we were all up in enough time for them to do the things themselves. ya know in enough time so you dont have to be rushed and worried about being late. if your not rushed things go alot smoother
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:24 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Yep I help mine. I put their clothes out the night before along with shoes and socks. I will go in and make sure they are getting dressed in the right clothes. I do make them brush their teeth and step in the make sure its right. I comb all their hair in the morning myself so they look ok and make sure they all have their bookbags and anything else they need. I dont normally have them get ready 100% on their own until middle school.

Answer by gemgem at 8:28 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• mine isnt even old enough to go to kindergarten yet. but i was a child myself... a loong time ago ;)

our mom always stood up with us in the morning. WHILE she prepared breaksfast and made us sandwiches ect for school, we got dressed, washed and brushed our teeth. When we were old enough to fix our own food for school we did so. but it was always so sweet of her. waking us up in the morning and preparing a nice breakfast. we always had to get up a little earlier because our mom didnt spoil us.. and that was absolutely ok.

I hear it alot that kids had to fix their own breakfast and such in the morning because the mother wants to sleep longer or stuff like that... i dont get these women. :-/

oh and my mom was working full - time and still took the time in the mornings.

so imo youre doing a good job and youre probably a great mommy, but dont spoil them too much ;))
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 8:37 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• i hear ya, in the mornings it takes FOREVER to get my 5 year old ready for kindergarten. i literally have to drag him out of the bed and put his clothes on because he refuses to get up lol i know its not good to do everything for them, but when ur pressed for time i'd rather do it for him then end up leaving the house with his clothes inside out or teeth not brushed.
    CindySpeaksUp

Answer by CindySpeaksUp at 9:41 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• No, my kids get up in the morning and get themselves ready while I make breakfast.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:57 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• My child gets up and does everything himself and then I make him breakfast.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I supervise and get them going, but they do it themselves and I think they should. I would get up a little earlier to give them more time to do these things for themselves.
    pbgibson

Answer by pbgibson at 10:53 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• My daughter knows if I have to get her dressed in the morning she will going to bed earlier that night. It doesn't happen very often. I start waking her up at 7. She has to be dressed shortly after I wake her up if not then she knows she will have to hurry up get her things together ad eat breakfast at school. When she gets up gets dressed and is down stairs before 735 she can eat breakfast at home. She has been late to school before ad I make her tell her teacher why she is late. It is not mommy's fault. she needs to know some responsibility.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 11:00 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• It is a moms job to teach and to help. When they are very young it is ok to help.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:35 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I have definately had to fight the urge to do things for them just to speed up the process. I have my kids pick out their school clothes the night before. Sometimes, they even sleep in their school shirt, socks and underwear. Then in the morning they just have to put pants on, pee and brush their teeth and my DSD has to brush her teeth. They eat breakfast at school to save time and stress in the morning. Their alarms go off at 6:45, my son gets up and goes to the couch, my fiance has to get my DSD out of bed, he brings her to the couch. Then he turns out the weather channel. Helps them wake up but doesn't disctract them too much. We leave the house at 7:40 and they are usually ready on time.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 12:24 PM on Feb. 12, 2009