What do you think is an appropriate punishment for...

people who abuse the 911 emergency lines? I'm not talking about children who dial 911 while playing, or people who call to report that their neighbors cow is out of it's pen. I'm talking about people who call 911 to get the number for the pizza place or the score to the high school football game (yeah, seriously, happens a lot).

Should there be no consequences? A fine? Should more extreme cases result in arrest? Ex: drunk man calls 7 times in one night, trying to get us to connect him to his buddy who is in jail. We did him one better and gave him a complimentary ride up to the jail to SEE his buddy. :)

Anyway, I'm bored and trying to stay awake after a night at work. Was thinking about Mr. Drunkard and thought I'd ask.

DusterMommy

Asked by DusterMommy at 10:14 AM on Dec. 10, 2012 in Just for Fun

• A small fine that increases drastically with each misuse.

Someone calling 7 times for the same non-emergency reason deserves a free ride to jail.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:19 AM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Yes, I agree a small fine. For example, if your house alarm goes off and it is a false alarm after 2 times you are fined $50. The fine for false alarm is in place where I live in TX and it was the same in WA.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:22 AM on Dec. 10, 2012

• first small fine
    second jail time
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:25 AM on Dec. 10, 2012

• I think there should be a punishment. But I also have to say, when it comes to kids - once is one thing, but if they do it repeatedly, their parents should face something for that. My son did it once (after I thought I'd taught him quite well not to), and that was it. I made sure after that that he really knew that it was not something you do unless there is an emergency. But I've known someone who thinks it's just so funny how her kid will dial 911 while playing and the cops come out and talk so nice to him - it's happened at least half a dozen times. And that, to me, is just as bad as calling because McD's won't give you the chicken nuggets you want or whatever.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:45 AM on Dec. 10, 2012

• Perhaps in place of a fine they should have to do community service such as helping to clean up after a fire, clean the glass off the road from a crash, etc so that they could learn what is a true emergency.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:42 AM on Dec. 10, 2012

• That is God awful! you don't abuse 911 it is something we teach our children at a early age, for this fool to call 911 to be connected to his buddy in jail is dead wrong but I do like the end result. I think a fine should be in place for people who do this and or jail time depending upon the situation...
    Cher53

Answer by Cher53 at 1:08 PM on Dec. 10, 2012